Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2015, 15:25   #1

Boat: Compass Innovator 33
Sealing fibreglass boom bag batons

I want to seal / paint the fibreglass batons that run through the boom main sail bag. Whenever I reef or furl I seem to be some irritating fibre fragments that are too fine to see. I suspect it is the batons that I think are fibreglass. These batons are also the securing point for the lazy jacks. Any hints on inexpensive yet effective remedies appreciated. I am thinking an acrylic undercoat with a gloss topcoat or two of some remnant exterior house paint or similar. These batons for the most part are in the fabric sleeves so don't get to much exposure.
rajcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 15:35   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Sealing fibreglass boom bag batons

When we had to replace a broken mainsail batten a few year ago, the vendor had to grind a taper into the one that he had in stock. To avoid glass fibers getting everywhere afterward, he simply ran a length of clear packaging tape along each side of the batten and trimmed the excess off with a sharp knife. It not only prevented the dread itchies, it was slippery and made inserting the batten easier... and to my surprise, was still intact several years later when I removed the batten prior to replacing the sail.

I see no reason this method would not work for your application... easy, quick and cheap -- how's that for a recommendation?

Jim
Old 18-01-2015, 16:40   #3

Boat: Compass Innovator 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcruiser View Post
I want to seal / paint the fibreglass batons that run through the boom main sail bag. Whenever I reef or furl I seem to be some irritating fibre fragments that are too fine to see. I suspect it is the batons that I think are fibreglass. These batons are also the securing point for the lazy jacks. Any hints on inexpensive yet effective remedies appreciated. I am thinking an acrylic undercoat with a gloss topcoat or two of some remnant exterior house paint or similar. These batons for the most part are in the fabric sleeves so don't get to much exposure.
That sounds like a great easy fix. Saved me a few hours, I love this forum. Thanks
Roger
rajcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 16:51   #4

Yeah... old fiberglass can often slough off glass fibers... if no gel or paint coating it. I imagine anything that wont wear off might work. Of some gel coat would be great!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 09:44   #5

idon't think sealing them will work as and kind of paint or frp coating will just wear.
i would take them out wrong the area up so it has a tooth then coat it with 3m 52oo it will seal them as its an adhesive and pretty tuff and the areas will be like rubber
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 12:41   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
idon't think sealing them will work as and kind of paint or frp coating will just wear.
i would take them out wrong the area up so it has a tooth then coat it with 3m 52oo it will seal them as its an adhesive and pretty tuff and the areas will be like rubber
Bad advice IMO! It would be extremely difficult to insert such a coated batten, likely over ten feet long, into a snug batten pocket. A slippery coating is what is needed here, and wear isn't a big issue.

Jim
Old 19-01-2015, 13:19   #7
Marine Service Provider

just paint with rustoleum after cleaning and sanding lightly.

easy. 2 coats will last years in the sun.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote