Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2014, 07:26   #1

Boat: Douglas MK 11, 32 ft
San Diego yards

Hi All
I am looking for a storage yard in or near San Diego to dry dock and get the final preparations for launch on my 32 ft full keel boat. I would prefer to be able to stay on the boat and work on it myself, for about a week starting March 9 2014. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 07:35   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: San Diego yards

Your options vary from a yard several miles from the water (and marine supply stores) to paying a bit more for the lay days and having the advantages of suppliers, specialty trades and other assistance at hand. For the cheaper option, call San Diego Boat Movers (888) 868-8244. It doesn't get any cheaper, or less desireable. For a week, while living aboard and actually accomplishing anything, pay the lay days. The established boat yards range from Mission Bay to Chula Vista in South San Diego Bay. The best options, using convenience, talent and nearby suppliers, are Point Loma and Shelter Island. Good luck, and don't waste time because you just want to save some bucks.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 07:51   #3

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

i dont know of any sd yards that allow staying aboard. for one week, id opt for shelter island BY or koehler. near-by suppliers and relatively cheap motels within walking distance. driscols mission bay is an option, but if you cant stay aboard in the yard the near-by lodging is upscale. forget about SDBM, theyre in purgatory.
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 07:53   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

kohler used to allow staying aboard
chuck driscoll in mission bay used to allow staying aboard and some of your own work
things change..
good luck
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 07:54   #5

Roy
Thanks for a quick reply and suggestions. That's the way Im thinking as well, but knowing all options makes the bucks easier to part with.
Appreciated
Old 25-02-2014, 08:00   #6

I have spoken with Driscolls and Koehler, Driscoll allows owner work and stay aboard, sounds like probably the best bang for the buck, but any other suggestions greatly appreciated! I am hauling myself, so I do have some latitude.
Old 25-02-2014, 08:14   #7

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

driscols shelter island or mission bay? i was told a while back neither allowed stay-aboard.
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 08:19   #8

Remember that there are TWO Driscoll yards, one on Shelter Island (MOST convenient, with all the stores, services and great food, including chocolate from The Elegant Truffle), and the other one in Mission Bay (which is a challenge to find for those without GPS or their own car).
Old 25-02-2014, 08:33   #9

The Driscoll yard in Mission Bay is a challenge to find alright, but looks like the better one for us. I spoke with Joe yesterday to confirm the details of staying aboard, no problem, but for a few reasonable rules. They charge like a wounded buffalo to launch, but I suppose its comparable to anywhere else. The only hitch in getting there is any possible height restriction, which I am looking into today.
The chocolate sounds good, but we have our own truck and enough determination to find it!
Old 25-02-2014, 08:39   #10

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

When getting my bottom painted at Shelter Island Boat Yard, they asked if I was going to be staying on board while the work was being done, so I assume they allow it. That was 2 years ago, thing may have changed since then.
Wind River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 17:01   #11

There are no height restrictions, unless you would be thinking of going up further into Mission Bay (no value there). It's a good yard, just a bit further away from all of the primary suppliers.
Old 26-02-2014, 18:16   #12

Hello Roy
Thanks to you and everyone answering for your helpful suggestions. Confirms my first thoughts on our to-do list.
We are trucking to Puerto Escondido to launch March 17th. Does anyone have any good info on the Fonatur marina there. We need to lift the boat in and store our truck and trailer there for a month and half. Any better suggestions and information appreciated.
Thx Again
Old 26-02-2014, 18:57   #13

Boat: Caliber 40

November 2012 I put my boat into Kohler Craft on Shelter Island. I spent eight days there doing all the work myself and living aboard. It was great - they have good showers and all kinds of nice bars within a 20 minute walk.

I highly recommend them.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 19:05   #14

Boat: Caliber 40

Have you driven the road from Ensenada to Puerto Escondido?

It is scary narrow, windy, and full of big fast trucks that don't understand the centerline or right of way.

If you've done it before and are doing it again - you are a braver driver than I!
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 22:44   #15

Hey Tacoma
I have done a fare bit of driving in Mexico, Im not sure if I would call any of it brave, closer to survival! Only been as far as Rosarita on that side from the North tho, and from Los Cabos to La Paz a few times. Judging by these experiences Im sure it will be an adventure and a slow trip that we'll only be partaking in daylight hours.
How are the fuel stops?

Tags
san diego