Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 23:23   #16

Boat: Caliber 40
Re: San Diego yards

I don't remember the fuel stops other than Guerro Negro and Santa Rosalia. I've done the round trip La Paz to San Diego several times but always in small vehicles such as a Toyota pickup or small Kia sedan.

Daylight is the better choice - I've almost hit donkeys, horses, and cattle walking down the middle (not across but along the middle) of the road in the middle of the night.

There are some pretty steep down grades with 20 mph corners along the way - like 10% for a mile or more so be sure your truck and trailer brakes are setup correctly.

I don't know much about the current status of Puerto Escondido but when I was there, ( six or eight times 2002 thru 2004), nothing worked as it should, the water depth near the piers was very iffy, and trying to find anyone that knew anything was impossible.

The Mexican authorities had installed new mooring balls, fuel docks, fuel equipment, and small buildings. Electricity was almost non-existent and the officials were arguing over who was authorized to collect the fees for the mooring balls.

And, when they put in 50 new moorings - they forgot to tighten and safety wire the shackles that attach the anchor chain to the mooring ring. Many boats came adrift in the spring and summer of 2004.

That was 10-years ago and I am really sure that the Mexicans have got all the details sorted out and everything runs efficiently now.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 09:42   #17

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: San Diego yards

Doctor, the multi-lane highway between La Mision (south of Rosarito) and Ensenada, is blocked by a landslide for about a year. You will need to take the old road from La Mision to Ensenada. An alternate route is from Tecate (off CA route 94, east of San Diego) through the Guadalupe Valley, then south through Ensenada. It's not a hairy as some would describe (I have a beach house in La Mision and used to import wine from Mexico). You'll do fine. It's all commercial trucking quality roads and services today.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego