Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2005, 11:26   #1

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
Repairing Wet Decks

We recently restored a boat with a small area (7 inch circle) of deck rot by removing the bad area from below and replacing with new wood. This was pretty simple and straight-forward.

A used boat just came to my attention that was surveyed and is known to have wet decks from bow to cockpit. It's a shame, because the rest of the boat is very clean and nice, and the price has dropped accordingly.

Now, I've seen the application of Git-Rot before-- the pattern of small holes, the drying out, the application of the two-part fluid until absorption stops. Now, even in a perfect application I know that some of the strength properties of the original wood are lost, but it supposedly prevents further rot. Also, I've not too concerend about filling the holes and painting the decks afterwards (having prepped and painted decks before).

Alternatively, we could use the "work from below" method again and remove the bad core and replace it with new plywood. The boat in question is a Cal 2-25, and I've read about this being done with a Cal 2-29:

http://pages.sssnet.com/go2erie/qa3.htm

So, what's the board wisdom on this? Should we run away from wet decks, or are there straight-forward (though time consuming) solutions that are worth while?

Jim H
Jim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2005, 14:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Get the boat cheap! I have used Get rot several times and I don't like it. It is to thin and not very strong. I would think that the only way to make a quality repair is to replace the wood as you did with your other project.
Old 28-12-2005, 14:19   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Recoring is a major job. Personally, I'd run from it and let the previous own bare the burden of his errors.

That much get-rot would raise the COG a bit and might even be more expensive then a recore............_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2005, 18:15   #4

Too much...

Words of warning will be heeded. We looked at the boat this afternoon, and it was clear from the recent survey (done by a surveyor we respect) that both the decks and cabin house are too wet to trust. The interior is entirely rounded fiberglass for the liner, meaning that opening from below would result in cosmetic changes that would be beyond me to keep in line.

The surveyor's comments were that the boat would likely be fine "as is" for river sailing (if covered in winter and everything re-bedded), but nothing that would strain the boat much. Thus, a re-build job probably wouldn't be worth the cost or effort. A shame, really, because the rest of the boat is top rate.

Jim H
Old 29-12-2005, 11:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is the boat discounted enough to pay for the repairs? I once owned a Cal 21, we had alot of fun with it. It was the biggest sail boat that I owned before Amanda Faye.
Old 29-12-2005, 21:19   #6

Quote:
irwinsailor once whispered in the wind:
Is the boat discounted enough to pay for the repairs? I once owned a Cal 21, we had alot of fun with it. It was the biggest sail boat that I owned before Amanda Faye.
To find out, I'd have to get fairly involved and buy the first survey, then take the boat to the boatworks I'd trust. Even then, until they opened it up, getting an accurate appraisal wouldn't be easy. I talked with others about it, and the cost of recoring all of the deck and cabin house could/would exceed the asking price. It might be possible to only recore the stress points, but...
Old 30-12-2005, 06:39   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So does that mean that you are "off the boat"?
Old 30-12-2005, 09:54   #8

Quote:
irwinsailor once whispered in the wind:
So does that mean that you are "off the boat"?
Yep. We're passing on that one, but we drove up into Washington yesterday and had fun looking at other boats. Looking during the winter rains isn't a bad idea, because any leaks in the decks, portlights etc. can be very apparent.

Meanwhile, we need to go clean up our Cal 20 (which has fine decks).
Old 30-12-2005, 14:18   #9

Good Link

Incidentally, I found this photo collection and process notes by a person who replaced the balsa core on the decks and cabin house of his C&C 27:

http://www.cc27association.com/fixes...pair/deck.html

This is one of the best links I've found on the process. As it is, I'm going to pass on the Cal 2-25 with the wet decks, but we're seriously considering the C&C 27 we checked out earlier.

Jim H
Old 30-12-2005, 18:19   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Yep! My shoulder joints are shot doing that kinda work Or I'm just too dang old for this stuff anymore........_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repairs