Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2014, 19:31   #1

Remodeling a salon .....

Our "new to us boat" a 1979 CSY Walkover, (which was mechanically refurbished by the last owners who had to move up to a larger boat due to family additions), desperately needs some aesthetic salon remodeling. Wood grain (Walnut to be specific) Formica was apparently very popular for use in boats of a 1979 vintage. While it is amazingly tough, rot and insect resistant, it is by nature, very dark. The admiral is not a fan. I'm considering removing the entire port settee side and installing a couple of zero clearance semi recliners with a small table in between. The bulk of the other surfaces I have considered painting with Rustoleum countertop paint which seems to be pretty tough once cured and comes in a light tan that very nearly matches the overhead fiberglass finish. I recently tested painting the two largest bulkheads with white "Plasti-Dip" which went on easily and drastically brightened up the salon in the short term. I'm concerned it's vulnerability to be scratched off will limit its lifespan.

I'm looking for some advice on.....
A) removing vs resurfacing and any experience anyone has with either;
B) experience with the installation of chairs as described and;
C) DIY vs hiring it out either in whole or in part.

As for DIY, I'm experienced with residential remodeling but detailed joinery and carpentry was never my strong suit....I'm more of a framer/wiring/plumbing/drywall guy. If I had to trim things out I tended to use block styles without a lot of miter joints.

Thanks!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1404180984.231696.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	84199

SV KITTY HAWK
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 19:56   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Remodeling a salon .....

From where I sit that interior looks great!

From a guy who has entered refit hell, I can tell you to be cautious. One thing will lead to another (and before you know it you are on the hard for 20 months - like me)

If you do decide to replace the port settee, get a pro. Matching that interior with you self professed skills will be tough.

I would consider changing the cushions and anything "soft" before doing any woodworking. White leatherette seats would be a nice "bright" upgrade.

Maybe replace/refinish the salon table with white formica type surface while keeping the wood trim - Matching the bulkhead panels.

What is the finish on those bulkeads anyway - Formica?

Also what's that box forward of the table and can anything be done with that?

you don't show the galley and nav station areas but maybe refinishing counter tops there to match the table.

More of a surface refresh, keeping the white/wood trim motiff. A lot easier than ripping out the port settee.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 20:17   #3

Agree with the above. That looks pretty good actually. Never thought of using plastic dip. For a more permanent solution I've used two part polyurethane 'topside' paint. Maybe try the same treatment on the port side veneer?

Definitely start with replacing the upholstery.

Chairs are a dividing issue. I'm envious of those two full length settees to allow for proper sleeping. But if you won't have many guests or crew, chairs could be comfy.
SV Lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
From where I sit that interior looks great!

From a guy who has entered refit hell, I can tell you to be cautious. One thing will lead to another (and before you know it you are on the hard for 20 months - like me)

If you do decide to replace the port settee, get a pro. Matching that interior with you self professed skills will be tough.

I would consider changing the cushions and anything "soft" before doing any woodworking. White leatherette seats would be a nice "bright" upgrade.

Maybe replace/refinish the salon table with white formica type surface while keeping the wood trim - Matching the bulkhead panels.

What is the finish on those bulkeads anyway - Formica?

Also what's that box forward of the table and can anything be done with that?

you don't show the galley and nav station areas but maybe refinishing counter tops there to match the table.

More of a surface refresh, keeping the white/wood trim motiff. A lot easier than ripping out the port settee.

The box forward of the table is a custom enclosure for the washing machine, so that's a keeper. The table and the galley countertops were replaced using wood from some land that the prior owner had in Honduras so I'd hate to modify those they have a beautiful finish and are made of a very hardwood. Unfortunately, when the other work was done the cabinet fronts and drawer fronts, while trimmed in teak, are the walnut Formica also. I though I had a reverse angle photo but I can't seem to find it at the moment. The starboard side was remodeled in teak with bookshelves hidden by louvered doors.

SV KITTY HAWK
Old 30-06-2014, 20:01   #5

Boat: csy 37

As a 1979 csy owner I can understand. Probably one of the best built yachts in the history of yachting, but saddled with a dark and dated interior. Not being too handy, I took the easy way out - bright upholstery! Makes a huge difference.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 20:23   #6

Ps- keep the table ditch the lamp shade!
SV Lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Lift View Post
Ps- keep the table ditch the lamp shade!

That whole fixture is on the chopping block. I'd like to put matching, less residential, simpler fixtures on either side of the mast.

SV KITTY HAWK
Old 30-06-2014, 20:28   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh, wait - Just looked at the photo again...

The port side cabinets - I get the Formica comment.

Refinishing that cabinet front in white shouldn't be too hard to match the bulkheads but then the starboard (which looks quality) doesn't match - Hmm...
Old 01-07-2014, 06:32   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Go for the easier stuff - Change the woodgrain formica fronts to white to match the bulkheads.

Wrap the cushions in white bedsheets or something to get an idea how that color looks.

You'd have to get an idea how that balances out with the teak.

I am mocking up my interior with cardboard. You could spend a day "fronting" your cabinets with white paper and tap it on to get an idea how it would look.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:50   #10

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

When I built custom cabinets and countertops in my college days, we used to paint Formica with some sort of epoxy paint when we had a project that made removing the Formica not feasible due to cost or access. I'd check with a custom cabinet shop or one of the big box stores to see what is available now. I know it held up very well and looked good. Surely there is something similar and better available. Prep work was a quick sanding to rough up the surface and wipe down with acetone. Use gloves.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:21   #11

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

With some careful masking of the solid wood framing, you can paint over the ugly port-side formica with white 2 pack polyurethane and for sure it will adhere well. If you are not happy with the result (perhaps because the brushed paintwork clashes with other white laminate surfaces) you have wasted little time and money.

Combine this advice with a change of upholstery and ruthless removal of 'stuff' like lampshades and memorabilia and you will be well set, in my view..
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 19:25   #12

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I just updated a 1974 head. Primed bulkheads then light (Hatteras white in my case) polyurethane topside paint resulted in a smooth attractive durable scuff and water resistant washable finish.

There's another thread or two on CF about counter tops. I used fake slate floor tiles for my head countertop ... But of course I don't chop vegetables in my head too often.
Old 01-07-2014, 19:43   #13

Laminate counter Makeover for $28 with Epoxy & Contact Paper…Yes.. I really just said that… | Impatiently Crafty

Take it step-by-step. Any or every new owner wants to make a LOT of changes right away.

Slow down.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 21:57   #14

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Laminate counter Makeover for $28 with Epoxy & Contact Paper…Yes.. I really just said that… | Impatiently Crafty

Take it step-by-step. Any or every new owner wants to make a LOT of changes right away.

Slow down.

Good luck.
And when you're done, ya can glitter some shoes!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:17   #15

Thanks for the advice.....my only concern with reupholstering the cushions would be that if I do that first and then get the Formica addressed then everything might be too light. I definitely have to remove, resurface or cover the Formica in some way since it is the style and the darkness of the finish that the wife does not like. If I change the cushion coverings and then address the Formica the absence of contrast with the cushions might be odd looking. We have a fair amount of time to get this done, we have owned her for 7 months and don't plan to move aboard until December of 2015.

SV KITTY HAWK

Tags
model, salon