Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 06:18   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I knew I had to start low and build a rep and customer base. We aren't overflowing with work yet but hope to get that way. To totally gut a 50' boat, glass or wood? To totally gut the boat and redo the engine, electrical, driveline and interior, probably 75K at minimum. Add total paint of hull, bottom and decks, another 15K. Refresh the rigging? Cost of the new wire and swages etc plus about 2K to string it and tune. I could see the boat coming in around 90-100K plus the cost of the boat. Considering that, has anybody priced a new 50 footer lately?
I'd sign up for that right now if I were in the PNW and I had a 50 footer I wanted to do that with. Let's see... buy the 50 footer for $35k or so, and end up with a nice boat for a total cost of $125-135k? Sign me up!
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:13   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Oh, it could be done. We just launched one that it was done on, partly by us. It was a CSY 44 that came in at 72K for everything plus the boat. If discussing a wooden yacht, there are very nice ones that are free to good home, like the K-40 we're restoring now. The owner will have an almost new, pedigreed classic yacht for about 50K when we're done.

For what you could save, it shouldn't matter where ya are. Just add the transport cost to the deal or schedule a vacation to sail her home via the canal...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:17   #48

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Oh, it could be done. We just launched one that it was done on, partly by us. It was a CSY 44 that came in at 72K for everything plus the boat. If discussing a wooden yacht, there are very nice ones that are free to good home, like the K-40 we're restoring now. The owner will have an almost new, pedigreed classic yacht for about 50K when we're done.

For what you could save, it shouldn't matter where ya are. Just add the transport cost to the deal or schedule a vacation to sail her home via the canal...
Ya, but don't forget the poster won't be doing any of it themselves - perhaps they should ship it to YOU! (given that it seems the universal experience here is that having such work done elsewhere is orders of magnitude higher in cost)...

L8R

Skip
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 15:47   #49

Boat: Nauticat 321 Pilothouse
Send a message via AIM to MitchM
well years ago i redid an old 1980 30 ft seafarer: new yanmar 2GM20F engine professionally installed,($11K) all the rest done myself including new wiring interior and mast $200 60 hours, new cabin lamps and wiring $120, new head $100, new macerator and holding tank $250, new Adler Barbour refrig $800, new 3 burner propane stove $1000, AC with reverse cycle heat/AC $2800, new sails professionally made $5K, new cables for throttle and gearshift from wheel steering pedestal, $70 and 3 week ends to snake them... overall it took 10 years of my life and most every week end i was on some ' boat project..' and by the way, the deck and hull and mast were in good shape except for every other year's bottom paint...

would i do that again?
NO. but i sure learned a lot...
MitchM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 16:28   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Read this and weep...this boat has been up for sale for about 2 years that I know of and price has been reduced several times. Look at what the man spent on it.

RogueWave - Our Yacht Inventory
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 17:02   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Some folks have more money than brains or so I've been told. I'm sure it seemed perfectly reasonable to him at the time....

He sounds like a once in a lifetime kinda customer...
Old 12-08-2010, 17:21   #52

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Read this and weep...this boat has been up for sale for about 2 years that I know of and price has been reduced several times. Look at what the man spent on it.

RogueWave - Our Yacht Inventory
That's f*#king unbelievable ... $850K in documented upgrades and improvements! Plus the initial cost of the boat, and its listed for what $369K after several price reductions?

Wonder what you could get it for? ... maybe Salty is interested, he needs a boat.
Old 12-08-2010, 17:53   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
Ya, but don't forget the poster won't be doing any of it themselves - perhaps they should ship it to YOU! (given that it seems the universal experience here is that having such work done elsewhere is orders of magnitude higher in cost)...

L8R

Skip

Maybe so. I have a spot coming open in November...