Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 14:08   #1

Boat: 81 O'Day 22
Refit

Hello there...I'm brand new to the forum and know virtually nothing about sailing. My fathers 81 O'Day 22 has brought me to y'all today. My father purchased this boat back in 2008 after the passing of my mother. He started to sand down the exterior hull but did not complete. It's never left the driveway till just a few days ago when I moved it out to my gf's fathers shop. I found a ton of water in the cabin...I pumped over 250gal out. The wood underneath the cabin is gone as well as the wood under the cockpit and behind transom. This boat hasn't cost me a penny....YET! I'd really like to get it up to par in appearance and make it safe to sail so someone can really enjoy it. I don't even know where to begin other then giving her a good scrubbing. Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated....thank you
Frenchise5985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 15:02   #2

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'
Re: Refit

Welcome aboard!
It would be good to establish a few things first. You might want to check similar boats for sale to get an idea of the value and estimate time and materials to complete repairs. In many cases a close to done boat is cheaper than a project boat. Is it the right boat for how you want to use it? Where do you want to sail? Do you have skills to complete the project? Pictures tell a lot, so try to post a few...then you can get better support from this forum...Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 15:31   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 33

I would like to see some pics of the interior. We have done the replacing of most wood on the interior of a 24' boat and depending on what you've got it may not be that difficult, depending on your basic skills. If I could see what you're starting with I might be able to give you some ideas.
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 20:54   #4

I uploaded some pics to my profile...she's been neglected but still shows signs of life. I've never sailed but have worked on the Mississippi River and its tributaries for the last seven years and currently hold a Merchant Mariner Credential. I'm not sure I'll ever learn to sail but I'd for sure like to fix her up. My father started it and I'd like finish it. Say I did keep her...most defiantly be a freshwater boat.
Old 05-02-2016, 21:02   #5

I do also have the means to power tools...I believe it's gonna take quite a bit of plywood, epoxy, fiberglass etc.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:03   #6

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

A good go inside and out with a pressure washer (1700 psi+/-) will give a new perspective! I looked at a few sister ships and the interior photos. The joinery is not overly complicated. Basic wood shop skills. Do a bit of photo investigation of similar boats to find anything that may be structurally necessary and replace those items first. Check chain plates and rigging. It does not have to be perfect to go for a sail...just safe. Go for a sail!
It would be wise to find a knowledgable sailor, in your area to have a look at things...pictures often do not tell the whole story. You will find most sailors quite congenial, willing to go out of their way to help out....although generally somewhat opinionated.
It would be satisfying to see this project through as your father started it. It would be great, if you could take him sailing!
Don't get too fancy...if you wish to paint the hull that was already sanded, a one part paint such as Interlux Topside or Pettit Ez-Epoxy will be fine for the Midwest. That is if the gelcoat can't be buffed out.
It is too easy to become emotionally attached to boats...why we refer to them as she/girls...you have been bit...enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:10   #7
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

I have kept my family farm for sentimental reasons. I think you are doing the same. Make sure you can afford it and will be satisfied if it hardly ever gets used.
rdw
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit