Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2012, 11:54   #1
Registered User
 
SmartMove's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cruising the Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 779
Images: 1
Recommended List of Spare Parts

Reading Rebel Heart's recent thread about getting everything ready to go and the expenses and the responses to it got my husband and I thinking about an inventory of spares. The comments regarding spare pumps caught me completely by surprise and my husband and I started talking about what we thought were important spares (replacements) to have onboard. I did search the forum to see if this has been discussed before and did not find much that was specific to the topic. Our plans are to cruise the eastern Caribbean during the winter and spring and head to Europe in late spring.

Oh Wise Ones, what would be your recommendations?

Robyn



Robyn

Roby
__________________

__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 12:09   #2
Registered User
 
Dulcesuenos's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida Keys, Bahamas Bound
Boat: 38' French Cat
Posts: 2,828
Images: 4
Were about to take a 3 week trip. I carry 3 spare primary fuel filters 2 secondaries. 2 spare quick change impellers a spare oil filter and oil. 1 qt tranny fluid. 2 spare belts spare zincs for the engs and shafts. For hard parts we purchased a low hour parts eng complete and carry the following : spare starter, 2 injectors, 1 injector pump and a tranny. ( I know but its tiny and takes up very little space.) I also purchased a new spare mixing elbow as I know ill need to replace one sooner or later. I also carry 4 spare bottles of rum vodka crown etc. (For emergencies) and lots of cigars.had a spare wife lined up but the primary one got mad....
__________________

__________________
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 12:12   #3
Registered User
 
The Blue Heron's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pensacola Fl
Boat: Heritage East 40
Posts: 199
I am building my spares. So far :

Fuel filters. 5 per engine 2 micron
Oil filters 5 per engine. 5 for generator
Oil. 10 gallons
Anti freeze 3 gallons 50/50 2 gallons 100
Impellers. 3
Belts 2 per engine
Fuel pump
Heat exchanger Elbows 1 set
RTV
JB weld
Zip ties
Small wood wedges and pieces of 2x2 and 2x4 for shims or damage control
Rescue tape
Duct tape
Electricians tape
Pipe tape
Box of fuses various
Various stainless clamps
Quart of ATF for transmissions
Misc splices and electrical wire nuts
2000 gph bilge pump
Beer

I'm working on a spare fuel injection pump and spare water pump">raw water pump and hoses to patch
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 12:23   #4
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.
Posts: 10,618
Re: Recommended List of Spare Parts

It is the essential things that need back up. Parts take a long time in far away places.
If you cannot do without, try to have a backup, if you have not got a backup, try to have a spare.
If you have not any of the above, in the event of failure, be prepared (in remote places) for at least a month getting it fixed.
Cruisers coming from the developed world imagine a few days for these repairs and invariably are frustrated and disappointed.

If you have cruised in a very basic boat this is a great help. In managing if things go wrong.
__________________
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 12:29   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Durban South Africa
Boat: L 34
Posts: 279
Re: Recommended List of Spare Parts

Are we talking Sail boats or Motor? Seems the previous two replies are motor boaters. Take whatever spares/parts/materials you know how to use. A practical sailor is handy enough to make a jury rig of any of his/her systems given some hardware. For me a few bits of lumber, plywood, some wire (electrical and fencing), a good selection of bolts, nuts, washers, screws, tape, hose that is common in your boat, hose clamps, sealant, sail repair kit, string, webbing, battery powered solder iron, light bulbs, electric tester, a comprehensive set of tools, geez - the list doesn't really end. Be a boy scout - Be Prepared.!
__________________
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 12:30   #6
Registered User
 
Captain Jeffry's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern California
Boat: 41' Sail
Posts: 420
Re: Recommended List of Spare Parts

I see you're a 473 sailor! Nice boat! More fuel filters (raycor than primary) than oil, but I carry 6 of each. A cruising sailboat has a better chance of bad fuel than a M/Y. Storage on a sail boat is less as well--Spares- Zincs-Impellers-Fresh water pump(if no foot pump)-ALTERNATOR-handheld gps-spare co2 for PFD's- spare rule pump- and anything else mentioned in the great lists above- Cheers, Jeffry ps- extra parts can also help the other guy in a pinch and make good barter tools. Cheers, Jeffry
__________________
Captain Jeffry Matzdorff
100 Ton Master
Captain Jeffry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 12:38   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,767
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Recommended List of Spare Parts

i left san diego with only spare chainplates, no fasteners for them, spare raw water pump and belts.....gore-tex packing and bees wax toilet ring seals and plugsaplenty
SHOULD have had
filters, oil and diesel, also filters for fresh water, and a way to use easily when on a dock, baja filter, spare starter with solenoid, ready to mount onto engine, alternator, ready to mount onto engine.....and functional sewing kit and sail tape... rescue tape is a good idea.....and zincs properly sized for boat..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:48   #8
Registered User
 
SmartMove's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cruising the Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 779
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos
Were about to take a 3 week trip. I carry 3 spare primary fuel filters 2 secondaries. 2 spare quick change impellers a spare oil filter and oil. 1 qt tranny fluid. 2 spare belts spare zincs for the engs and shafts. For hard parts we purchased a low hour parts eng complete and carry the following : spare starter, 2 injectors, 1 injector pump and a tranny. ( I know but its tiny and takes up very little space.) I also purchased a new spare mixing elbow as I know ill need to replace one sooner or later. I also carry 4 spare bottles of rum vodka crown etc. (For emergencies) and lots of cigars.had a spare wife lined up but the primary one got mad....
LOL, I have overruled the spare wife, my husband is disappointed but he will get over it! Check, check and check for the rum vodka and crown.
__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:50   #9
Registered User
 
SmartMove's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cruising the Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 779
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Heron
I am building my spares. So far :

Fuel filters. 5 per engine 2 micron
Oil filters 5 per engine. 5 for generator
Oil. 10 gallons
Anti freeze 3 gallons 50/50 2 gallons 100
Impellers. 3
Belts 2 per engine
Fuel pump
Heat exchanger Elbows 1 set
RTV
JB weld
Zip ties
Small wood wedges and pieces of 2x2 and 2x4 for shims or damage control
Rescue tape
Duct tape
Electricians tape
Pipe tape
Box of fuses various
Various stainless clamps
Quart of ATF for transmissions
Misc splices and electrical wire nuts
2000 gph bilge pump
Beer

I'm working on a spare fuel injection pump and spare raw water pump and hoses to patch
Looks like we are going down the same route as you, thanks for sharing.
__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:51   #10
Registered User
 
SmartMove's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cruising the Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 779
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77
It is the essential things that need back up. Parts take a long time in far away places.
If you cannot do without, try to have a backup, if you have not got a backup, try to have a spare.
If you have not any of the above, in the event of failure, be prepared (in remote places) for at least a month getting it fixed.
Cruisers coming from the developed world imagine a few days for these repairs and invariably are frustrated and disappointed.

If you have cruised in a very basic boat this is a great help. In managing if things go wrong.
Very good advice, thank you.
Robyn
__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:55   #11
Registered User
 
SmartMove's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cruising the Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 779
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek
Are we talking Sail boats or Motor? Seems the previous two replies are motor boaters. Take whatever spares/parts/materials you know how to use. A practical sailor is handy enough to make a jury rig of any of his/her systems given some hardware. For me a few bits of lumber, plywood, some wire (electrical and fencing), a good selection of bolts, nuts, washers, screws, tape, hose that is common in your boat, hose clamps, sealant, sail repair kit, string, webbing, battery powered solder iron, light bulbs, electric tester, a comprehensive set of tools, geez - the list doesn't really end. Be a boy scout - Be Prepared.!
Sail. Both of us are pretty handy and good at thinking outside of the box when something needs to be temporarily jury rigged. All of the stuff you have listed we already have aboard. It is nice to see our gut had us on the right track. Thanks.
Robyn
__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:59   #12
Registered User
 
SmartMove's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cruising the Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 779
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jeffry
I see you're a 473 sailor! Nice boat! More fuel filters (raycor than primary) than oil, but I carry 6 of each. A cruising sailboat has a better chance of bad fuel than a M/Y. Storage on a sail boat is less as well--Spares- Zincs-Impellers-Fresh water pump(if no foot pump)-ALTERNATOR-handheld gps-spare co2 for PFD's- spare rule pump- and anything else mentioned in the great lists above- Cheers, Jeffry ps- extra parts can also help the other guy in a pinch and make good barter tools. Cheers, Jeffry
Good point about things to barter! I think we need to add more filters, currently only have two each. We probably need to look more closely at our store of zincs and add a couple of pumps, but we have everything else you have listed. Thanks. We love our 473!

Robyn
__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:01   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,135
Re: Recommended List of Spare Parts

Just a word of caution on spare engine parts. If you can, replace the original with the spare before leaving home. I have met a few cruisers whose spare did not fit the engine. Case in point, sailed two years thinking I had spare impellers for my 3GM30F. Impeller finally went one day and when I went to install the spare it would not fit. Apparently my 3GM30F was a European model and took a different impeller. I'd had a 3GM30F previously and knew what the impellers looked like. Who would have thought they'd put different impellers on the same model. Live and learn. Luckily I was back home when I had to replace the impeller so I did manage to get the correct one.

For those cruising the Bahamas I would not carry a lot of spares. Most are only a phone call and a couple of days away.
__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:04   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,767
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Recommended List of Spare Parts

if you truly want a list of what is going to break and take those with you as spares, you will have a boat load of crap going with you. i brought minimal items, and i found i only NEEDED slight other items findable in mexico inexpensively.
what is difficult to find in other countries, ie, mexico, are items such as one needs while underway--rescue tape and oil and antifreeze, hoses, water pumps, and starter and alternator and zincs. everything else is findable inexpensively here in mexico.
4-108s are used in many fishing boats, and easily located here, as opposed to usa. much cheaper here also. .
everyone has a different listing of dire need items. sail repair is cheaper here than in usa by half price.
mechanics are running at 40 dollars per hour unless you go to the yards sponsored by marinas..lol guaymas/san carlos is cheapest yard with storage of boat running 200ish usd or slightly less for a 40 ft boat on land. yard work is comparable with yard storage rates. ensenada is based on usa rates moreso than mexico rates.....no big break there...
buying sails here is pricey. dont know how much, but it is.
buying dinghies here is pricey. outboard engines selling for 500 used in usa are 800 used here. that is usd.
stainless work here is cheeeep...ss isnt too bad in price..better than in usa, if you include welding.

haulout is cheaper, but paint is same pricing--200 dollars per gallon.
gasoline and diesel are priced by govt and is at around 3.85 per gallon. at the fuel docks.

everyone NEEDS different items when cruising, as certain items are in ship shape order and others may well not be. every one will have a different list of what to need and what to mebbe use....it all depends on the boat and the owner.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:13   #15
Registered User
 
SmartMove's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cruising the Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 779
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
i left san diego with only spare chainplates, no fasteners for them, spare raw water pump and belts.....gore-tex packing and bees wax toilet ring seals and plugsaplenty
SHOULD have had
filters, oil and diesel, also filters for fresh water, and a way to use easily when on a dock, baja filter, spare starter with solenoid, ready to mount onto engine, alternator, ready to mount onto engine.....and functional sewing kit and sail tape... rescue tape is a good idea.....and zincs properly sized for boat..
I grew up in a family that always bought terrible used cars, my parents generally spent three to four times the cost of the car in repairs. We were always breaking down somewhere, so I have embraced the "Be Prepared" approach to life. We will not have spares for everything because it would be cost (and space) prohibitive, but based on everything everyone has shared with me I think we will be well prepared!

We are planning on taking an alternator. My husband thinks our starter is going out so that will (mostly) be replaced before we leave PR this year. Sewing kit ... I brought mine from home, but I need to add some more stuff to it, thanks for bringing it up I would have probably forgotten to give that more thought.

Thanks Zee,
Robyn
__________________

__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.