Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 14:40   #1

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Raw water strainer

I think I already know the answer to my question.... Should I have a dedicated raw water strainer for the engine and install a second strainer for other things like A/C and watermaker to pull from? Thats my plan anyway, unless there is a good reason not to.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 15:09   #2

Re: Raw water strainer

I like to have a dedicated on for the engine, but have used the engine one once for another thing with no issues.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 15:18   #3

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

thanks!
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 15:26   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Can someone explain the advantage of having 2 smaller strainers vs. one larger strainer?

Both will need to monitored or they will clog. A larger strainer (1.5 - 2x) can handle either flow while 50% clogged and thus would be less prone to clogging at critical moments due to heavy weed.

A larger strainer will give less resistance when clean, since the AC and engine will not run at the same time (didn't mention generator or that AC was engine driven).

I don't think this is actually a case for redundancy, unless they are interconnected (parallel). I see this behavior in process plants; a big strainer is maintained, smaller dedicated strainers see more neglect. I would have valves to isolate the systems in case of leakage or maintenance under way.
Old 11-07-2014, 15:45   #5

On my installation with a T, I could hear gurgling in the water spigot (it was a salt water faucet intake). I could see getting air into the engine cooling stream in the right situation. So that would be my only caution. A check valve in the non engine line might solve that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 21:16   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Groco has an interesting discussion on this subject on their website. It also has a table that would help you choose how big a strainer (and thru-hull) you would need to supply various consumers. For instance they sell a manifold that fits an 1-1/4" strainer that will feed one 1" and two 1/2" hoses.
Go here and read about their RWM manifolds.
GROCO MARINE PRODUCTS

Tags
raw water, water