Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2011, 00:10   #1

Propspeed or Similar

hi to all here .can anyone tell me if there is a place where i can buy propspeed to apply myself.
i have a small vessel that i can retrive on a trailer for maintanance.
but here in australia i have to take it to a licenced applicator. to in my mind just mix it and paint it on?
i understand it may have toxins and chemicalls but he had no ppe gear just came out and painted it on.
or is there anything else in these days.
it is a 4 blade bronze prop .or would just antifoul every 6 months do just as well?
ps i was pleased with propspeed but is a hassle to drag to the bloke just for that?
thanks for any info.
gary mooloolaba.
fishingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 00:31   #2

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
Re: propspeed or similar

Propspeed did not work for me. Found a report within the forum somewhere on SEX WAX which did the job & I am trying some surf board wax on one of my folding props & anti foul on the other. A fair amount of growth was on the one with sex wax which seemed to pull off some wax but I have not checked them for the last month. I heated the blades as the wax went on. Report still to follow.

Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 01:11   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Propspeed has worked great for us. We have tried different prop coatings as we traveled from Europe to the caribbean to the Pacific. Last year we tried Propsped in New Zealand and it seems to really work. But I understand you need to have someone "approved" apply it. But I think the cost was about NZ$125 and the fact it has lasted makes that seem reasonable to me.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 01:22   #4

Take one very clean prop, I sand with wet and dry to get a good shine.
Spray with Zinc Chromate primer.
Mix ordinary clear silicone sealant in epoxy thinners so it is thin enough to brush. Dont use the silicone with acetic acid solvent, just the normal one.
Brush the silicone on before the primer sets, so it bonds well to the metal of the prop.
If you have time, brush on another coat of silicone the next day and make sure it has set before you launch the boat.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 04:07   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Propspeed or Similar

You can just buy it off the shelf in the US. Unfortunately the shipping charges to Australia would cost more than having a licenced applicator put it on for you. I'm sure it would have to ship as a hazardous material. It's worth it. That stuff really works.
Old 30-11-2011, 16:42   #6

Re: Propspeed or Similar

thanks very much for all the replies.and i will try olaf harts solution it sounds the go.and if it dont work i havent lost much?
thanks again .
gary .mooloolaba.
fishingaz is offline   Reply With Quote