Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 19:27   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 33
Pre-Wonder-Goop Boats

I seem to recall mention of swabbing the hull with pine tar or some such in Slocums (Sailing Alone Around the World).

1. Am I recalling the right book?

2. What would be some good books on building and maintaining boats like this, with natural materials. Not so much about types of boats (unless its about multies), more about construction and maintenance methods prior to dow industries?
__________________

__________________
weedeater64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:17   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,577
Images: 240
Not exactly what you asked about; but an excellent resource on wooden boats.

USCG Guidance on Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance of Wooden Hulls (NVIC 7-95)

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/1995/n7-95.pdf
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:13   #3
S&S
Registered User
 
S&S's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Posts: 851
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Not exactly what you asked about; but an excellent resource on wooden boats.

USCG Guidance on Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance of Wooden Hulls (NVIC 7-95)

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/1995/n7-95.pdf
Too much ancillary stuff concerning commercial transport. Owning/maintaining a wood boat takes me less time than i'd need just to read that report.

Try www.woodenboat.com/forums.

The magazine is pretty good too. I've owned a number of wood boats over the years (including our present one) and can give more recommendations if you're looking for something specific.

If you're looking to become a "traditional" boatbuilder There are a lot of resources in wooden boat magazine, or apprentice yourself to a good "traditional" yard like Gannon & Benjamin.
__________________
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:37   #4
S&S
Registered User
 
S&S's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Posts: 851
Images: 6
They turn off the edit too quick on this board-

www.woodenboat.com/forum

Also here's a book
Good intro (for the ambitious do-it-yourselfer)

Amazon.com: Details of Classic Boat Construction: The Hull (9780964603684): Larry Pardey: Books
__________________
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 13:36   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,577
Images: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
Too much ancillary stuff concerning commercial transport. Owning/maintaining a wood boat takes me less time than i'd need just to read that report...
A bibliography from the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF MARINE SURVEYORS lists the NVIC 7-95 Guidance first in their reading/study list for wooden boats.
http://www.namsglobal.org/assets/16/YSC_Tech_Bib.pdf

The USCG “NVIC 7-95" is intended as a guide and should be used as a tool in "applying good marine practice" when inspecting and evaluating repairs on wooden boats.; and contains NO “ancillary stuff concerning commercial transport”.

How long does it take to review 74 pages, noting those that may be useful (to you - they’re all useful) and worth further study?
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 14:19   #6
S&S
Registered User
 
S&S's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Posts: 851
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A bibliography from the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF MARINE SURVEYORS lists the NVIC 7-95 Guidance first in their reading/study list for wooden boats.
http://www.namsglobal.org/assets/16/YSC_Tech_Bib.pdf

The USCG “NVIC 7-95" is intended as a guide and should be used as a tool in "applying good marine practice" when inspecting and evaluating repairs on wooden boats.; and contains NO “ancillary stuff concerning commercial transport”.

How long does it take to review 74 pages, noting those that may be useful (to you - they’re all useful) and worth further study?
Nothing wrong with it Gord, (hence the ) But it really wasn't what the OP was looking for (as you said).

Here's another one:
__________________

__________________
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New or Pre-Loved: Which Is Better? RubyBishop Dollars & Cents 26 07-07-2009 09:11
What Happened to the Goop Thread? Chief Engineer Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 5 10-08-2008 21:52
Pre purchase Survey Boracay Monohull Sailboats 26 19-08-2007 04:48
Fastener Goop Cadence10m Engines and Propulsion Systems 15 28-01-2006 21:44



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.