Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2010, 05:24   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Petit Hydrocoat Bottom Paint

I was wondering if any of the members have used Petit's Hydrocoat bottom paint and if so what the experience has been?
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 07:27   #2

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
I have used it on my dinghy with good results for Maine summer. Nothing collects on it. The Petit guy said it is the same formulation as their dinghy (for hypalon and PVC) bottom paints and paint for transducers. I am not sure this is much of a test, however, as my dinghy gets run at relatively high speed and regularly--it might be different for a sail boat in a slip. Also, I am convinced that different bottom paints work differently in different areas and also varies on how you use your boat. When I was in the tropics, I had great luck with Trinidad, because I dove the boat periodically and cleaned it--so a hard paint that would stand up to scrubbing was best. Here in Maine, you do not get in the water unless you have to--everyone uses ablatives.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 08:35   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
I am convinced that different bottom paints work differently in different areas and also varies on how you use your boat.
No debate on this issue. It is absolutely true.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 03:53   #4

Boat: Westsail 32
true about different waters effecting paints differently. When my discount venders price for Trinidad was $275.00 per gallon I almost had a stroke. Think I will give the Hydocoat a try. Primaraly sailing in the brackish waters of the Hudson river.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 05:51   #5

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
I painted my 26' power cruiser with Hydrocoat before the 2006 season. After four summers on the water in SE Alaska, it still looks good and works well. Should be fine for at least one more summer. I travel slow (6.5 knots) 90% of the time. Much less expensive and less nasty to apply than several other choices.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint