Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2010, 10:39   #1

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Painting

Boat needs bottom paint.. so this hurricane season when it picks up we are going to haul it out and paint it.

-How can I estimate how much paint we need? I have to buy it somewhere else so I need to plan.

-Any reasons not to paint the line a bit higher? I dont anchor in a marina, and the growth from wave action is a bit up. Painting a few inches higher would help this a lot.

-I have two big "sugar scoops" (its a cat) that are constantly in and out of the water. They are a rough non slip surface, but this just promotes black sea growth and its really hard to scrub out. Can I paint them?

-The windlass area is constantly dirty because of frequent anchor usage. The boat is white... What about painting this area so it wont show the dirt as much?
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 18:29   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Amount - some paint manufacturers give a formula - Blake (Hempel) and International do - just check their sites. Also mind different paints have different area yield per liter.

Line - move it, why not.

The windlass area probably just wash it more often. If you simply paint it a muddy colour then you forget of the mud quickly and take it with you everywhere around the boat ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 18:32   #3

Mix some non skid sand into the primer if you want paint + non skid.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 19:01   #4

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Amount - some paint manufacturers give a formula - Blake (Hempel) and International do - just check their sites. Also mind different paints have different area yield per liter.

Line - move it, why not.

The windlass area probably just wash it more often. If you simply paint it a muddy colour then you forget of the mud quickly and take it with you everywhere around the boat ...

b.
We will still wash the windlass area... but right now we have to really scrub it otherwise it just looks bad.. its non stick there too with all the little cracks etc and the small pieces collect in there...
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote