Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 17:02   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Now a believer in bonding

So, in preparation for our heading south this week or next, I started going through my checklist. You know... things screwed on tight, no cracks in things, etc... when I noticed that there was some water under my sink.

Being that I just replaced my sink thru-hull and associated hosing, my immediate reaction was something wasn't tightened up enough. Well, I tightened all up and wiped up the mess. Next morning... more water. OK, turn off seacock and wipe up mess. A few hours later, more water. Not a gusher or anything but enough to make you go 'Hmmmm'.

That is when I noticed a crack in my raw water strainer which is also in under the sink.

I go out and get a new stainer. In the processes of taking the old one off, in addition to the crack in the tube of the strainer... this is what happens.

The strainer was not bonded, unlike just about everything else on the boat, and after 26 years this is what happens. It does not happen over night but the steady progression is guaranteed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image (1).jpeg
Views:	297
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	71461   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (2).jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	71462  

Name:	image (3).jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	71463  
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 17:22   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Now a believer in bonding

We just had this happen to us. It is probably not caused by not being bonded, but rather by a yellow brass/bronze nipple being used between the strainer and the elbow.

I swear that if you hadn't sat that on a teak deck for a picture, I would have thought you gained access to my picture files!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 17:27   #3

Was there anything wrong with the actual raw water strainer, or just the close nipple that was connecting it with the elbow?

From the photos the raw water strainer looks fine.

Looks like a case of dissimilar metals, not a bonding issue.

Guy
:-)
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 17:38   #4

Boat: PT-11

26 years, come on.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 17:38   #5

Boat: csy 37

zboss, that's got nothing to do with bonding. looks more like a problem with the nipple, probably disimilar metals. if you can check on that i'd like to know.

i'm not bonded; 34 year old boat with all bronze through hulls, not one is connected to another, nor is anything else on the boat - electronics included. all original bronze is still in excellent condition. i greased every through hull last year and checked their condition so i'm pretty confident in them.

and when i took a direct hit by lightning a few years ago i think that not being bonded is the reason i had so little damage. a couple of light bulbs popped and i lost my vhf and depth sounder.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 17:43   #6

I stopped bonding thru-hulls because my forward head thruhulls got burned in two years in a marina with bad wiring. They were closest to the power pedestal and well, there you go. Would have been a good place to put a zinc fish in the water.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 17:45   #7

There were two fittings on the boat that were not bonded and they both looked like this. All the other fittings looked good but I replaced them all anyway. You may be right about the brass/bronze.

The groco I replaced this with comes with a bonding screw.

The strainer glass was cracked. Hence the leak. I may have done it myself when I was working on the boat this summer and just never noticed.

My teak is crap! Its soooooo low on the list of to-do's right now that I leave it to a sunny day... or not
Old 03-12-2013, 18:13   #8

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

On a side note. You headed south yet? Would imagine Herrington Harbor is getting a little chilly!
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 18:50   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Ah that sure looks like rust in the photo at the break and that is a black iron pipe connected to the other side of the bronze elbow. Bonding would not have saved that. Iron is a anode to bronze so it sacrifices itself. I'm thinking somebody used an iron pipe nipple between the bronze sea strainer and bronze elbow.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 19:32   #10

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

It looks more like dezincified brass to me. Hard to believe somebody could put an iron nipple there. And how could iron last that long?
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 19:39   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We just had this happen to us. It is probably not caused by not being bonded, but rather by a yellow brass/bronze nipple being used between the strainer and the elbow.

I swear that if you hadn't sat that on a teak deck for a picture, I would have thought you gained access to my picture files!

Mark
Ya...I'd have to agree...I only bond my copper plate which I use as an HF ground plane to a zinc plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I stopped bonding thru-hulls because my forward head thruhulls got burned in two years in a marina with bad wiring. They were closest to the power pedestal and well, there you go. Would have been a good place to put a zinc fish in the water.
When I bought my HR, I was inspecting the through-hull under the galley sink and it snapped off in my hand. There was a zinc nearby which for some reason had a wire going to the ground of the VHF. Good grief!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HR 036.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	71470   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR 038.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	71471  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 20:27   #12

I too have stopped bonding my boats through-hulls,after many years of being bonded and replacing zincs only because the diver was there or the boat was out of the water I had become complacent and had not been replacing as before well something in the marina or a boat near me changed! next inspection ,no zincs and prop badly eroded and zincs were needing replaced very often until I un-bonded all systems things went back to the way they were, only being replaced because I/we were there
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 20:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
I too have stopped bonding my boats through-hulls,after many years of being bonded and replacing zincs only because the diver was there or the boat was out of the water I had become complacent and had not been replacing as before well something in the marina or a boat near me changed! next inspection ,no zincs and prop badly eroded and zincs were needing replaced very often until I un-bonded all systems things went back to the way they were, only being replaced because I/we were there
How often do zincs normally need replacement on a cruising boat? We also have a twinvee 20 foot with dual outboards and we only have to change the zincs once every other season.
Old 03-12-2013, 21:00   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean View Post
It looks more like dezincified brass to me. Hard to believe somebody could put an iron nipple there. And how could iron last that long?
Ah but brass would be yellow at the break and slightly shiney and not rusty flaky looking. Brass does not flake as it corrodes, it pits, as does dezincing and the inside bore of the nipple is smooth well the small part I see. Look at the edge of the broken nipple. That looks like flaking rust to me.

Plus that 4" pipe nipple on the other side of the brass elbow IS a black steel pipe nipple. You can see rust in the tooling marks.. So odds are where you have one black steel fitting you have another. I expect it was installed only a year or two ago. Probably by a highly qualified island marine mechanic. Zboss is located in the BVI or about down there.

Zboss: if brass pipe is not available. use brass hose barbs and lengths of rubber hose. Then Bobs your uncle.

Me I would replace the sea strainer too as some of the tin, in the fitting end of the sea strainer may have gone away too. That's real heavy patina on that end of the sea strainer.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 22:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
How often do zincs normally need replacement on a cruising boat? We also have a twinvee 20 foot with dual outboards and we only have to change the zincs once every other season.
It depends entirely on the marina and the boat. In some places with crappy wiring and/or bad neighbors, you can burn out a shaft zinc in a couple of months. At anchor and with a galvanic isolator? Two years? No idea really.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote