Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2023, 17:51   #1

Newbie question about working on the bottom

When the boat is on the hard and you're doing a bottom job, what do you do about the area covered by the jackstands? Would you paint the rest, let it dry, move the jackstands, then paint the area that was covered up?

I don't have any urgent need for this information... Just curious.
the stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2023, 19:34   #2

Re: Newbie question about working on the bottom

I'm pretty sure our yard paints the section under the stands when they lift the boat off the stands to put it back in the water. I guess the paint is "waterproof" very quickly. Maybe it varies by paint?
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2023, 19:53   #3

Boat: Gallart 13.50 MS

The cheapest method is to paint the spots under the stands just before they drop your in the water. When possible we've had yards that would hang us in the crane the night before, so we could hit the spots. We've also had to do it last minute, and we've had them move our stands the week before we splashed.

Painting last minute made for noticeable spots of extra growth and thin paint. Doing it the night before, left spots that you could find, if you knew where to look. And of course a week of cure time, left no traces.
Corvidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2023, 19:54   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Depends a lot on the what the yard allows, how busy the place is and what your timeline allows.

Ideally move the stands and paint underneath well before launching but sometimes / someplaces this isn't possible and the best you can do is slosh some paint before splashing.

So - it varies
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 00:24   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Newbie question about working on the bottom

Usually there are 3 to 4 jackstands/supports either side of the boat plus one under the bow so what I do is move one at a time to paint underneath in the morning first thing then a second coat and third coat before lunchtime and replace an hour after the last coat, it dries quickly so you can do at least 2 or 3 a day.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"I am not less life-loving than you are.
But I cannot sell my birthright, nor am I prepared to sell the birthright of the people to be free." Nelson Mandela.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:31   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Newbie question about working on the bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
I'm pretty sure our yard paints the section under the stands when they lift the boat off the stands to put it back in the water. I guess the paint is "waterproof" very quickly.

Your guess would be wrong. Any paint applied while the boat is in the slings will almost certainly NOT have cured before the boat is splashed. And it will not cure underwater. This leaves the paint very soft and unstable. It will fail in those spots in short order. Whether the yards understand this or not is anybody’s guess but it is a fairly common occurrence.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:34   #7

My experience has been with the stands they can be moved one at a time. And then when the boat is lifted to be put back in order you paint the bottom of the Keel where the blocks were
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 12:00   #8

Under no circumstances move the stands yourself, have the yard do it.
Allow an extra day or two out of the water, have the yard move stands first thing in the morning after the first or second coat, then when finally ready have the yard pick up the boat the night before you splash, allowing you to paint the bottom of the keel. Most yards will accommodate
Jim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 12:27   #9

Boat: Pearson 323

For me, on my monohull… while the boat in on the stands I paint everything I can, once dry I get an additional stand and place it as near to one of the existing stands as possible, tighten it up, I usually go in the direction where the hull beefier. But depends on how far apart the yard put them. Remove the old one, move to the next one and repeat. Paint all the spots at once. Do what you’re comfortable with, some make no decisions at all about there boat, while other, like me, aren’t afraid to. I’ve been sailing for 60 years with no losses. The more you know, the better off you are.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 12:44   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by the stargazer View Post
Would you paint the rest, let it dry, move the jackstands, then paint the area that was covered up?

I don't have any urgent need for this information... Just curious.
Thats exactly what we did three days ago and for the last 30 years.
We use one extra stand adjacent to the one we're removing and do one at a time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FRESH BOTTOM.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	277540  
Old 01-07-2023, 18:18   #11

Agree somewhat with sailor above (60 years), I’m only at 50 years doing own bottoms, my issue is with liability in the event weird things happen (wind storm, vehicle hitting stands, etc) which I have witnessed. Most yards now prohibit anyone other than yard personnel handling. Thanks
Old 01-07-2023, 18:38   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
Most yards now prohibit anyone other than yard personnel handling. Thanks
I disagree, No problem doing our own work between Duluth MN and Antigua in the last 30 years. Not hard to find yards that allow.
Old 01-07-2023, 19:46   #13

With all due respect- suggest review rules and regulations agreement (signed before hoisting the vessel) regarding stands, clearly stating only yard personnel to handle.
You may have well convinced yard or staff to accommodate you but they did not have authority, if you signed…..
Consider yourself fortunate, fair winds!
Old 01-07-2023, 21:05   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
With all due respect- suggest review rules and regulations agreement (signed before hoisting the vessel) regarding stands, clearly stating only yard personnel to handle.
You may have well convinced yard or staff to accommodate you but they did not have authority, if you signed…..
Consider yourself fortunate, fair winds!
I am fortunate in that I choose places that permit me to do my own work.
Perhaps you are not as widely traveled as I but you can too if you would only look.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:41   #15

To suggest to others not as experienced as you that’s it’s ok to move stands is just plain irresponsible. The rules don’t apply to you?
The yards In Titusville and Miami (new River) have these rules, I simply don’t believe there are boatyards that don’t have these rules.
I thought this forum was to offer insight and sound advice …..why the negativity?

Tags
newbie, work