Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2007, 15:04   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Yes, BBill,
Has it the right way and I use two part epoxy paints. After I sprinkle the sand on the wet paint and let the paint dry I use a foxtail to sweep the loose sand away and use one coat of light colored two part epoxy paint over the top of the sand. Works great. I've had the same coating on my fordeck for 17 years and it still doesn't slip. You can repaint over the sand several times/seasons until it looses its grip then just add sand over your next wet coat.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 15:39   #17

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBill
Epoxy RESIN is best but paint does the job too.
Bill,
To clarify, roll out a two part epoxy (ie Sys 3), sprinkle sand, roll another coat after it cures, sprinkle more sand, then cover with a two part epoxy paint.
I've not tried bedding the sand in epoxy, though it sounds like a good idea.

Fair leads,
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 16:32   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman
Bill,
To clarify, roll out a two part epoxy (ie Sys 3), sprinkle sand, roll another coat after it cures, sprinkle more sand, then cover with a two part epoxy paint.
I've not tried bedding the sand in epoxy, though it sounds like a good idea.

Fair leads,
Aaron N.
Try to do all the sand on the 1st coat...but if you need more do it on the 2nd coat. Epoxy resin is stronger and last longer but you have to color it with pigment...mixed in the resin. It usually takes a LOT of pigment to make clear resin opaque so do some trial samples first. You can also do the first sand coat in epoxy and do the followup coats in color paint (or all of it in 2 part epoxy paint as posted already)...that's the easiest way. Or a single part polyurethane like Brightsides will last an easy 5-8 yrs in the direct Florida sun and only require one fresh coat to bring it back. Sun fades it but it doesn't chip and peel, etc. Petit Easypoxy is a totally different story...I've done them side by side on the same boat and Petit had about half the life of Brightsides...and turned to dust. 2 part polyurethanes work too. Either way, let the first coat tack enough to hold the sand stable...the then do the 2nd/3rd coat.

Durabak was mentioned. I read on another web site (iboats) where several Boston Whaler guys used it to restore their 13's. They said it applied easy and stuck well but faded badly after a yr or two. I think they said Durabak has an exterior and interior version...one fades and the other doesn't. Yrs back I inquired at Durabak's web site and they sent samples of the colors I wanted.

bb
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:22   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Lay New Nonskid ~ Practical Sailor
http://www.practical-sailor.com/news...845nonskid.pdf

The Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual ~ By Allan H. Vaitses
(Goto page 80)
The Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual - Google Book Search

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 23:54   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I have used the method COLEMJ has described for years with great success. Prep is important in any job. After I scuff up the decks, I wash (lightly) with acetone. The last 2 boats I did I changed to LPU paint with cabosil. It also worked great and was a little more rubbery (is that a word?). I have seen people struggle with other methods and I feel cabosil and either gelcoat or LPU work hands down.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 00:31   #21

Boat: GulfStar 52 - Pomaika'i
Hi,

I've used Kosher salt poured over epoxy. Wash thoroughly after the epoxy sets up; nice surface on bare feet, looks good, wears quite well.
Kuapa'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 12:24   #22

NON SKID

I just last week ran into a fellow who is very experienced in coatings(he develops specs for coating water towers etc.) He had applied DuraBak to the decks of his rebuilt C&C Corvette and it looked great. He said he's had it on for about a year and a half and is completely satisfied. I walkd on it and by golly it is "soft on the feet" and no pain to kneel on either (don't try kneeling on sand or stippled epoxy - you'll need nuskin on your knees).

So, I've orderd a quart of the stuff and a roller cover and will try it on my aft deck before I decidet to coat the whole deck. I'll report my results.

Fair winds to all,

Carleton
Carleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 14:47   #23
cruiser

Beach sand is as good as it gets . It doesn't wear out like the trendy stuff they sell to suckers.Paint, then sprinkle the sand on with a salt shaker, then paint again.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 17:30   #24

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Quote:
I've used Kosher salt poured over epoxy. Wash thoroughly after the epoxy sets up; nice surface on bare feet, looks good, wears quite well.
I've done the same with granulated sugar and polyester gloss resin on sailboard decks and it works great.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 18:01   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Riel
Beach sand is as good as it gets . It doesn't wear out like the trendy stuff they sell to suckers.Paint, then sprinkle the sand on with a salt shaker, then paint again.
Brent
What's the trendy stuff and who are the suckers? Which beach works best?
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 00:57   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The BoatUS foundation tested seven types of commercial non-skid surfaces that can be applied to decks, cockpits, cabins, galleys, and engine rooms to increase traction and prevent slips and falls.
Their 1995 report:
BoatUS Foundation Findings Report #23: Non-Skid Deck Applictions - November 1995

“Trendy stuff” might be any commercially formulated product for sale; and a “sucker” might be anyone who spends more than $50 on a year’s provisions (beans, but not Stokely's).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:20   #27

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
I have Tred Master down on my deck and would do it again. Don't like the sand are whatever they mix with the paint as a non-skid.

I think it is the easier way to go than the molding in the epoxy nod skid. The tred master looks great and I understand that they have a paint to coast the old tred masters that have lost there color.