Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 10:39   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Need ideas/products for swing arm/mount for electronic display

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I am very limited as to mounting electronic displays/devices at the helm or elsewhere in the cockpit. I am putting a radar/chartplotter under the dodger but no room there for anything else.

Anyone have, or have seen, a swing arm or track mount that could be used to position a display at the companionway to see and use in the cockpit that could be retracted or swung away back in to the interior when not needed?

My previous boat had a dual track for the old radar but it wasn't the best setup. A swing arm would be great, especially if the display could be tilted so it is easy to use down below as well.

Whatever it is has to be secure and lock both in the retracted and the cockpit position and handle rough conditions. The display would be fairly light unlike my old CRT radar back in the day.

Thanks!
I am not sure I fully understand the question? Had you considered using or modifying a TV wall mount to meet your need? I may be all wet with that.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 13:06   #17

There are all kinds of articulating mounts intended for flat screen tvs that might work for your application.
Wall Monitor Mount | Black Extending Bracket for Flat Screens

is one that I found. Amazon.com has all sorts of them as well. I am doing this same thing for my boat to mount a tablet PC to run OpenCPN viewable from cockpit and then swing back into the cabin and be used for the other functions that a tablet allows.
WakullaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:50   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

You might check these sites out:
Humanscale: Ergonomic office chairs and ergo tools
Shop Ergonomic Desks, Chairs, Monitor Arms & Keyboard Trays

One is manufacturer, the other is retailer.

FWIW, I used one of their swing-arm monitor mounts when we replaced our old-style 24" TV with a new/flat/wide 32" TV that wouldn't fit in the original space. An additional advantage is that we can also easily change our viewing angle depending on where we're sitting in the saloon...

-Chris