Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2018, 03:51   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Need ideas on electrifying davits

My davits are integrated into an arch holding up a hard bimini on a cat. They use rope and I have modified them so they have a 6 to 1 purchase. For passages I remove the dinghy engine but for gunk holing I seldom make the effort.

Under these circumstances they carry a 10hp engine and 9ft rib weighing roughly 275lbs. While you would think the 6 to 1 would reduce the lifting to an acceptable level it has not and having just seen several cats with electrified davits I am a severe case of FOMO.

I need ideas on how this could be electrified but at the same time keeping as close to the KISS principle as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA51C595-CA63-415A-A51C-EF25D3C54B90.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	182617  
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 04:17   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Need ideas on electrifying davits

Just wondering if a cordless drill (geared down) would do the job? Just a thought......

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 04:27   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

Good thought. I have one but how do I rig it so the drill/motor pulls both davits from one place? Continuous line like some reefing systems? Right now it has two lines, one for each davit.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 07:47   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

A standard outdoor rated 12 volt winch like they use in ATVs? They're inexpensive so you could carry a spare.

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...es+atv-winches

I'm considering using a pair for my davits.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 07:54   #5

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
A standard outdoor rated 12 volt winch like they use in ATVs? They're inexpensive so you could carry a spare.

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...es+atv-winches

I'm considering using a pair for my davits.
That's what we used on our davit. Worked like a charm.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 08:40   #6

Boat: Lagoon 440

I use a variable speed 90 degree Milwaukee cordless drill with a winch bit. I raise the skiff in three stages first a bit on one side then the other. No need for new wiring or to restring anything. Total KISS. Been using it for 18 months on this boat and used it for a couple of years on previous boat. Boat is a Lagoon 440; skiff is a Highfield with steering system and a Honda 20hp.
Skededel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 08:43   #7

One creative solution I saw on a Bali catamaran - use pulleys and fairleads to bring the rope to the helm, then use the electric self-tailing winch there to lift the dingy (assuming you have an electric winch for the sails.)
saghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 08:55   #8

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

All kinds of options. What size/type cat and please post pics of Bimini as I'm interested. in ideas for mine lol.

Ideas.

You've probably seen those 18 volt right angle drill attachments that go on to your winch. Utilizing a winch somewhere and a single continuous line could work. Also, you'd have the winch/drill combo for other winches. I personally don't like the 18 volt right angle drill system. Heavy, awkward and more so if you're rolling/moving around.

Install a real 12 volt powered winch. I was Captain on a 55' catamaran tour boat. All lines led to the helm station where I had one Harken winch and a bunch of cam cleats etc. Simply haul in the one line you needed and then release it and switch to the next. I have a Harken on my current Cat and am making new halyards etc long enough to reach the powered winch including the dink. IMHO it is the best system. Robust and built for the salt water environment.

Atv winches etc. How long will those last in a salt water environment?
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 10:23   #9

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey. Deck Salon

I used a couple of Harbor Freight 2500 lb winches bolted to 1/4 aluminum plates, then U-bolted the plates to my davits, replaced the steel cables with braided 2500 lb test line. Painted the winch motors with Flex Steel paint. I leave my 15 hp Yamaha on the 11' dinghy.
Life is good, thank you Bob Mitchell. SV Carrie May !
Oh, I bought a replacement winch just in case!
furisgrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 10:44   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
My davits are integrated into an arch holding up a hard bimini on a cat. They use rope and I have modified them so they have a 6 to 1 purchase. For passages I remove the dinghy engine but for gunk holing I seldom make the effort.

Under these circumstances they carry a 10hp engine and 9ft rib weighing roughly 275lbs. While you would think the 6 to 1 would reduce the lifting to an acceptable level it has not and having just seen several cats with electrified davits I am a severe case of FOMO.

I need ideas on how this could be electrified but at the same time keeping as close to the KISS principle as possible.
Buy a jar of Elbow Grease....?
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 10:53   #11

I have a fiberglass dinghy with a 20hp Suzuki. Our boat came with Rule winches which are no longer available. I recently replaced them with winches by Warn which is what Endeavour now uses in new boats. They work great and they power in and out. Many ATV winches freespool out and only power in
vanderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 10:53   #12

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by furisgrampa View Post
I used a couple of Harbor Freight 2500 lb winches bolted to 1/4 aluminum plates, then U-bolted the plates to my davits, replaced the steel cables with braided 2500 lb test line. Painted the winch motors with Flex Steel paint. I leave my 15 hp Yamaha on the 11' dinghy.
Life is good, thank you Bob Mitchell. SV Carrie May !
Oh, I bought a replacement winch just in case!
Might you have some photos of your setup?

Cheers!
Old 22-12-2018, 11:45   #13

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

I mounted a single 12V DC ATV winch [sub US$100 @ 2500lb rating] in the middle of the fixed spreader spanning the two davits.

The rope drum is divided in half by a home made disk [1/2" Starboard].

A single piece of Dynema line is pulled through a slot in the disk [where it contacts the rope drum] and then on to single blocks on the davits, then down to the dinghy.

Running the winch winds up the lines from opposite sides simultaneously. [One line on top of the spool; the opposing line over the bottom...]

I use separate double braid lines [~5ft long] tied to the fore and aft lift points in the RIB. These are safety lines for when the dinghy is stored in the davits, and allows me to release the tension on the winch. [Once the dinghy is raised to stow position, these safety ties are manually fed through the same blocks the dynema line runs through, then forward to a cleat on the davits. After cleating, the winch is jogged to release tension- treating it like an anchor windlass...]

It has been working great for 2+ years now, and the cheap winch is holding up well. [Before installing it, I replaced any fasteners I could with SS- reinstalled with anti-seize...]

This didn't take long to fabricate and install. [I ran 6 AWG wires to the winch, and an off switch inside the boat for disabling the winch for security. [I switch off the ground wire that controls the relay; an ~18AWG wire...]

I made the spool dividing disk on the dock using hole saws on a small sheet of 1/2" Starboard [what I had on hand...] I first drilled the ID then OD; then drew a line through the center [that would be the cut line] and drilled through the circumference for bolts to tie the two halves together after cutting it in half.

Before installing the disk, I drilled a small hole [which became a slot] in the ID of the disk [where it contacts the winch drum- parallel to the drum] to allow a single piece of Dynema line to run through the hole/slot, and then to blocks on each of the davits, then down to the dinghy. [No multi-purchase tackle necessary because the winch handles the load easily.]

This disk was then bolted back together in the center of the rope spool on the winch.

A machine shop would take less time and produce a better looking result, but my home made version works just fine... [low RPM operation...]

The photo belows shows the black winch in the middle of the davit spanner, with the orange Dynema line leading in opposite directions to both davits. [It easily hoists our 11 ft fiberglass RIB- with 6 gallon fuel tank and 15 HP Yamaha 2 stroke outboard when gunkholing.]

I haven't yet taken the time to document this project, so I hope this adequately portrays it. [I doubt I'm the first to use this approach...]

Cheers! Bill

PS: Note: I made several minor edits after original posting for clarity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7083.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	182626  
Old 22-12-2018, 12:22   #14

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Ours used to have electric but went back to manual at some stage.
We have 3speed boat trailer winches on ours.
They lift a 14 ft aluminium dinghy with 30hp, battery, fuel etc.
Weighs in at around 320kg/700lb
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 15:34   #15
srt

Boat: Hunter 40

I used a winch purchased off eBay, lifts 3000lb, came with a corded remote and 2 wireless remotes and cost about $AU100. Sprayed with a wax anti corrosion coating and has been working well for 12 months so far.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181017_124801 (Copy).jpg
Views:	517
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	182650   Click image for larger version

Name:	davits.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	182651  

srt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags