Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2019, 08:57   #1

Boat: Najad 400
Najad Teak Plug Replacement

I understand that my Najad (2003) had the teak deck bonded to the fiberglass and that the screws are only there to hold the planks in place during manufacture. The screws only go a short way in to the surface of the fiberglass and not through into the core. Is this right?

If so to replace the now wafer thin teak plugs can I remove and discard the screws, drill the hole down to the fiberglass and hammer in a new interference fit plug? I.e. no screw or any kind of sealant needed.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 13:16   #2

Re: Najad Teak Plug Replacement

Andy,

Not sure on that make boat if teak was bonded as you say. If it was, and the bond still is holding strong, I would think when you remove the screws there would be a hole left behind that needs to be filled and sealed to prevent water egress into the fiberglass laminate or core material.

There is a vlog on utube called "salt and tar" that is doing the same construction of core material covered with fiberglass with wood decking epoxied down being held in place with screws while curing.

As I understood, they plan removing the temp screws and filling the screw holes with epoxy and installing wood plugs where the screws were. My want to check it out.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 13:59   #3

Boat: Najad 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstar37 View Post
Andy,

Not sure on that make boat if teak was bonded as you say. If it was, and the bond still is holding strong, I would think when you remove the screws there would be a hole left behind that needs to be filled and sealed to prevent water egress into the fiberglass laminate or core material.

There is a vlog on utube called "salt and tar" that is doing the same construction of core material covered with fiberglass with wood decking epoxied down being held in place with screws while curing.

As I understood, they plan removing the temp screws and filling the screw holes with epoxy and installing wood plugs where the screws were. My want to check it out.

Will do.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 17:39   #4

Hi,

Yes you can eliminate a screw here or there. Set the screw in epoxy ( a dab will do) or you could you varnish. I try to reset the screw. Remove the screw. Drill down enough about 3/16" of an inch so the plug will have some "bite". Take a dab of sealant such as 3M4200 onto the screw and secure. Take the new plug with a dab of epoxy and tap it in the hole. Let dry and use a sharp chisel to make flush.

Its not hard.

Michael

S/Y B'Sheret
2003 Najad 373
mlbsheret1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, najad, plug, teak