Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 00:03   #1

My new Boat and fixing question

Here is what I know about her.
1979 Sampson
37’ Ketch.
Full keel and 6’ draft.
She is a Ferro Cement boat and displaces 13 tons.
Some of the previous owners took really good care of her and it shows. However, the most recent owners used her as a party place. Here is the list of things to do as I see it right now.
1) Get engine working
2) Get bottom cleaned
3) Get rigging working
4) Get electronics working
5) Get bottom painted
I would like to move number 5 up a few slots but I would need to find a local yard that works on Ferro Cement boats at a reasonable price. So, after all this here is my question. Who would recommend for sanding and painting my boat? I do intend to use Coppercoat Anti-Fouling Epoxy:for the paint unless substantial reason can be supplied for me not to.

Thanks in advance
Scott
WhereAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 00:09   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: My new Boat and fixing question

Scott,

Unless you have already driven the boat recently, the first thing is to dive the prop, with a scraper, and clean it so you can move the boat safely. If she's foul because she's been sitting for a while, it is an erroneous assumption to think you can easily move her. Propellers can get massive growth that makes them spherical--they don't work well that way, you want to see *blades*!

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 10-06-2014, 17:51   #3

Re: My new Boat and fixing question

Here is an update to my boat resurrection project.

The engine (a Volvo Penta MD 2 B) does turn over oil leaks forced the immediate shut down of the engine. As it turns out some of the "help" the previous owner may have gotten resulted in the disappearance of some of the engine parts like the hand crank and oil intake assembly. The missing parts have been purchased and installed. There is still oil shooting out of the top of the fill cap but a quick trip to Minney's (local salvage store) revealed what the problem may be (More on that another day).

The boat bottom was cleaned. And, 5 1/2 hours later my boat was sitting about 2" - 2 1/2" higher. The prop turns freely and none of the thru-hulls leaked.

Now on to the electrical system. She needs 3 new batteries and a load of rewiring.

Oh, side note the 16 mile radar is one of the few things that still works and no one has messed with.

I also found out some of the history on my boat. The original owner did sail her down from Oregon. On that trip they ran into bad weather one of her masts were broken and she capsized. During this catastrophic event someone died. The Coast Guard righted the boat and towed her into the nearest port where the owner spent a substantial amount of money to get her fixed and finish his journey to Southern California.

I need to find a boat yard that works on Ferro Cement boats at a reasonable price. Who would you recommend for the sanding and painting of my boat? I do intend to use Coppercoat Anti-Fouling Epoxy: much more than a marine bottom paint. Coppercoat is a multi-year bottom treatment for your boat or yacht. Save time, money, and haul-outs with Coppercoat. for the paint unless substantial reason can be supplied for me not to.

Thanks

Scott
WhereAway is offline   Reply With Quote