Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2015, 16:51   #16

Re: methylene chloride to remove interior paint from hull

As a few have mentioned it's a matter of rate. Put it on and scrape it off when you see it reacting, bubbling the surface. Repeat as needed, without letting it linger more than necessary. It's a real good stripper. Follow with acetone to remove the DCM, then with water. DCM is miscible in acetone but not water, acetone is miscible in water.
I used the stuff daily for 5 years about 30 years ago at a MIT Chem lab. Breathed it too with no I'll effects...yet.
Common sense is the key with that substance, but it is quite useful.

Ed
elknimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:05   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm feeling a bit like Homer Simpson @ the moment. Doh! As there are any number of other shapes & coarsenesses of grinding bits which you can put into the chuck of a drill. All of which are aimed at removing anything from paint to titanium. So with them, you needn't mess with chemical strippers at all.
Heck, I've had a set of rotary rasps for 20yrs, which have been used on all sorts of jobs. And their "bigger brothers" would certainly do number on stubborn paint.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 20:27   #18

I wanted to thank ya'll for the input. I made my own brew of sodium hydroxide, water, corn starch, instead of methylene chloride. I used drano crystals for the source of lye. It worked pretty well, after about 3 hours soaking, scraped, then wire-brushed to get the paint off the uneven surfaces.
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, interior, paint