Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2015, 14:40   #1

Boat: Malö 116 39'
Measure speed through water without making hole through hull.

I want to measure the boots speed through water. But I don’t want to make any hole through the hull. Fore me a hole in the hull below waterline is a to great potential risk. Do there exists any such instrument on the market? I have an idée on how to built one, but do they exist then its unnecessary to invent it. Why, and the benefits of STW instead of SOG, are already subject to another ongoing discussion. A Doppler log can be mounted inside the hull but that measures a speed over ground.
Lars_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 15:11   #2

Re: Measure speed through water without making hole through hull.

GPS does it just fine for me.
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 15:17   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Well there is the older method say using a Walker Trailing Log. Measure the distance through water and time elapsed to determine speed but I'm thinking you want a more modern solution
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 15:27   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

20 yr ago the club I am in had a Bernoulli tube that measured speed.

Currently you can buy a Knotstick for about $60, it drags a weighted line thru the water attached to a calibrated spring. You read speed by how much the spring is moved.

Or you can get transom mount paddle wheels for an electronic speedo.

Adelie
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 15:29   #5

You could transom mount a fishfinder + speed transducer on a bracket. That would save having a hole for a depth sounder too.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 15:49   #6

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Lars,
A Doppler log measures the speed over ground if the water is shallow enough to get a reflection on the sea bottom. This is probably the case in the Baltic sea where I suppose you are cruising.

In others area, a Doppler log measures the speed with respect to a water layer. Some systems even measure STW in shallow water: http://www.alphatronmarine.com/pdf/1_JLN-550.pdf

There are other, simpler and cheaper, solutions:
- a Dutch log (throw a piece of wood a the bow and measure how long it takes to arrive at the stern)
- a ship log (a piece of wood at the end of a line with regularly spaced knots)
- a patent log...

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 16:11   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

There are plenty of transom mound speed sensors available. Normally these are mounted with screws into the transom so technically these would be holes in the hull although above the waterline.

I suppose you could use glue or double sided tape or a board clamped to the transom.
Old 24-03-2015, 17:20   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Buy yourself a Knotstick. They work very well and are quite accurate. We use one to calibrate our thru-hull paddle-wheel knotmeter.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 22:25   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Why are you so concerned with a through hull speed log?? The through hull is some form of nylon, very tough and not susceptible to corrosion. The speed transducer itself is pretty much solid so limited chance of leaking and the plug, if you use it, has virtual zero chance. These are not like metal through hulls with a seacock or other type of valve attached to a hose that have many points of possible failure especially with age.

Went with a Raymarine paddle wheel transducer through hull that has worked excellently.

GPS does give speed through the water but speed over ground. Does nothing to measure how efficiently you are actually sailing. Using a GPS, you could be doing 8 knots in some places and not have any means of propulsion because of current. For figuring out maximum efficiency sailing, a through hull knot meter is the best way to go.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 01:56   #10

Boat: Malö 116 39'

Of course do I want an NMEA output, and I feel that with Knotstick I will have much work to make such interface.
I have mounted my deep sounder inside the hull. It looses some performance (max. 100 m deep), but it works good enough.
My idée is that the sound speed thru water is known, and if the water moves the speed of sound will change in the same way as the speed of the water. Since I can mount my deep sounder (that both sends and receives sound) inside the hull, it should be possible to mount a sender and receiver a bit apart (0.5 m) inside the hull. With these it should be possible to measure sound speed thru the water.
Lars_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 05:43   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_L View Post
Of course do I want an NMEA output, and I feel that with Knotstick I will have much work to make such interface.
I have mounted my deep sounder inside the hull. It looses some performance (max. 100 m deep), but it works good enough.
My idée is that the sound speed thru water is known, and if the water moves the speed of sound will change in the same way as the speed of the water. Since I can mount my deep sounder (that both sends and receives sound) inside the hull, it should be possible to mount a sender and receiver a bit apart (0.5 m) inside the hull. With these it should be possible to measure sound speed thru the water.
B&G came out with a solid state combined speed/depth transducer such as you describe in 1987. The device mounted on the outside skin of the boat with small penetrations for the mounting bolts/wiring. (Google "Solid State Water Speed Transducer") Trying to reproduce that within a hull would be problematic/complicated by the speed of sound through the hull material itself although once could, in theory, apply a compensating algorithm. It certainly seems like a lot of effort for such a modest payoff. Why not simply mount a standard transducer in a fish-shaped block mounted on the end of a tube that could be extended into the water over the transom when needed/wanted?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 07:20   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

There are transom-mounted transducers for this purpose; there is GPS; there are Walker Knotmeters and similar semi-antique devices; there's the 60D/ST method of recording a transit between two fixed points on shore; and there's the venerable hourglass, chip board and knotted string method used on ships 300 years ago.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 07:40   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Measure speed through water without making hole through hull.

If you are in a non-tidal situation your GPS SOG will be near enuf the same as SOW.. if currents enter the equation then you'll need a tide chart, tables and (maybe) a calculator.. then its SOG - current force and deduct for direction if required should give you SOW
I sailed from Gurnsey just after LW heading for the UK.. it was Springs and the GPS gave my SOG at 13kts.. however as the current up the Race runs at up to 7kts.. a quick glance at the chart and port info on tides I calculated SOW to be just under 7kts..
Knot accurate.. but nothing is 100%.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 07:42   #14
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Why be concerned about a thruhull?

Most 30+ foot boats have many.

A thru hull is not to be feared.

Transom mount speed sensors generally only work on power boats with a plumb transom to the waterline. Power boats have no choice, the transom is the only part of the boat in the water underway.

For a sailboat, especially with overhangs, go with a through hull speed transducer, and don’t worry about one of many thru hulls. Note that there may be accuracy variation, depending on speed and tack. Just like a compass deviation card, if you require high accuracy, you may wish to develop a knotmeter deviation card, based on tack, heel angle, and speed.

Rod Brandon

Certified Raymarine Installer and Service Provider
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 07:52   #15
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Non contact Doppler flow sensor. There are such devices for measuring flow velocity (and calculated flowrate) through enclosed pipes. They work with varying success and are application dependant.

If I am reading between the lines correctly and you are considering "inventing" such a device for use as a sailboat knotmeter, be aware that the application variables will likely defeat you.

A pipe is a stationary object of fixed dimension and almost all other parameters but flow velocity.

In contrast a sailboat hull is subject to all kinds of variation: flexure, heel angle, roll, pitch, yaw, wave height, period, and angle, flotsam, entrained air, etc., etc., etc.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, logs