Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 09:29   #1

Boat: Byliner 3258
material for berth?

I have a Bayliner that has a laminate finished (white) plywood sheeting under the front berth. This plywood and finish has delaminated and looks ugly. I was looking at a picture of another boat and they had pressure treated plywood with a glued on gray coloured vinyl flooring that looks like aluminum checker plate I have seen this product used for garage floors. Will this application work or will I have problems with condensation? I have a 4"thick memory foam mattress. Seeing as I am going to replace this surface what would work better?
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:42   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: material for berth?

Painted exterior grade plywood is fine in this application. One way to help eliminate condensation is to take a 1" hole saw and drill through the plywood in a checkerboard pattern every 3". This assumes you have some space under the berth that can allow a little airflow.

Matt
Old 04-01-2018, 15:53   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: material for berth?

A 6 mm thick closed cell foam underlayment for the mattress should solve the problem, as well.

Marine grade ply and paint will work, but I would not think fuzzy stuff would provide enough loft to keep the airflow going. The closed cell foam works differently, by stopping the temperature transfer. Your breath moisture, some will get into the mattress, but at least where we sail (no higher than 43 deg latitude) it has worked well for the period of ownership of this boat (so far, ~15 yrs.).

Ann