Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 05:37   #1

Main fuel tank leak

My vessel is fitted with a 30l day tank which is filled from the main tank in the keel. I purchased her from the builder one month after launching however I whenever I am on a starboard tack at +15deg of heel I find diesel in one of the port compartments under the floor boards. After months of searching I finally have establised , by pressurising the tank, that the leak is somewhere near the top one third of the tank. Upon draining and opening the hatch into the main tank I find that the GRP hull serves as the containment vessel. The surfaces are coated with what looks like thick blue gelcoat.

Suggestions as to what I can recoat the inside of this tank with to ensure leak free containment ?

I have attached two pictures for clarity - A view down into the first section of the tank showing the inside contour of the hull and a view into the second tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9221small.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	8078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9227small.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	8079  

Alan N Crichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 14:24   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
If you purchased this boat from the builder, why are YOU repairing it?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 14:45   #3

Boat: Morgan OI 414
Maybe you could fill the compartment that the diesel is leaking into with some kind of liquid, perhaps water mixed with a colored dye. That way you may be able to determine exactly where the leak is. I would say you would have to grind the gel coat off down to the fiberglass. Then re-glass and then re-gelcoat. Good luck.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank