Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2016, 03:55   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Lifting a Sailboat With a Crane

As the cool weather starts to find its way into Florida, I get to thinking about the sorry state of my bottom paint. You may well ask why cooler weather reminds me of painting the bottom... well, glad you asked.... TYVEK suits are death to wear in the Florida Summer!

My marina is the site of an old waterfront restaurant. The building was razed, so there is abundant room to lift the boat right from its slip with a crane. The boat is a CAL28 (7525# Dry), so it should easily be lifted with a modest crane.

Do any members have any pointers about crane lifting (as opposed to a traditional sling travel lift, which is the only way I have ever lifted her in the last 30 years)? Secondly, can any local members offer a reference for a good, experienced crane service that does boats. I have experience with several crane companies doing construction-related work, but none say they will lift my boat.
Old 24-10-2016, 04:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Lifting a Sailboat With a Crane

Use spreader bars.
Image010.jpg Photo by nluther | Photobucket

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 04:49   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

If you have long slings you don't need a spreader bar with that size boat. Most larger crane/ rigging companies will have some long 4" slings with a 4 hook wire bridle. You'll need a much bigger crane than you think do to the reach needed. Probably a 50 ton or better. Probably $350 or more each way so probably cheaper in a yard.
Old 24-10-2016, 04:53   #4

Boat: Currently boatless

Yes, spreader bars. I had my boat hauled and launched a few times by a yard with a crane. Just make sure the crew knows the actual weight (not design weight) of your boat, includes adequate safety margin, and that yours isn't the first boat they have ever hauled.
Old 24-10-2016, 06:59   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

If you use a conventional crane spreader the fore-aft lift angle and forces will be fine. BUT you will a have port-starboard crushing forces where each strap is placed. These forces need to be placed on bulkheads, that SHOULD be able to take the load.

That is why the old P&H cranes used "back in the day" all had a rectangular lifting frame. And why travel lifts are shaped like they are.

Could it work with a straight spreader? Maybe. Would I do that to my boat? No way!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 07:20   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
My marina is the site of an old waterfront restaurant. The building was razed, so there is abundant room to lift the boat right from its slip with a crane.

Do any members have any pointers about crane lifting (as opposed to a traditional sling travel lift, which is the only way I have ever lifted her in the last 30 years)? Secondly, can any local members offer a reference for a good, experienced crane service that does boats. I have experience with several crane companies doing construction-related work, but none say they will lift my boat.

Wouldn't it be semi-easy to just move the boat temporarily to a marina with a travel lift? Quick power wash, splash, home? Or even block for a couple days to do more significant bottom work, then splash and return home?

-Chris
Old 24-10-2016, 07:28   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have had 3 different boats lifted out by crane--it can get very exciting.
make sure your bottom growth is well cleaned off in the water BEFORE lifting as that extra weight can cause a lot of anxiety as the crane leans to the weight.
if the crane operator has lifted boats in the past he should have the correct equipment to lift your boat. just make sure your eyes are wide shut when you take the pix....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 08:46   #8

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik

Where I live, we haul all boats out with a crane - we have no choice.
With adequate spreader bars, and a crane operator and crew that have done it before, it is quite safe. We haul some sailboats with their masts up, some de-rigged.
To do one boat alone, up here, would be very expensive! (it's over $2,000 just to get the crane here)
Given a choice, I would go with a travel lift every time!
Old 24-10-2016, 09:02   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Add my vote for a spreader bar...important IMHO.

Be sure the slings don't hit any fittings underneath...cause they will be crushed.

And finally, a loooong crane helps, otherwise you get bashing and crashing between the mast and the crane. Pulling the stick and getting it off the boat makes for a much easier lift.

Best of luck, and don't forget to get pictures and video to post here after...we want to see what happens...especially if the crane tips over, which happened here once.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	qhaul7.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	133673   Click image for larger version

Name:	haul10.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	133674  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 09:04   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i came to mazatlan to haul because i donot like cranes--but the entertainment is awesome--
i do not trust tavellifts, as straps break.
oops.
and straps placed in the incorrect places can actually hurt the boat's hull.
i do trust the old style rail system once used to haul heavy boats. there is still one in san diego, there used to be one in cerritos channel in lost angels. and there are more than 3 here in mazatlan. still in use. they are used to haul commercial boats. and some few others. they will not be found where the gringo yachts are hauled, as they prefer travellifts for some reason.
there is nothing more satisfying than being in the ways of an old rail ways prepping the boat and cradle for haulout. smooth and easy. the lifts and cranes pose way too much excitement when my home is at stake and in someone else's hands, literally.
was terrifically eciting watchin gpretender be lifted by crane up and over 3 other boats toplace her on her work trailor--er temp cradle in san diego.
unless it was viajera's attempted lifting with years of growth under her hull, at eddies crane in cerritos channel. had to be let down to clean first.
hay first boat--learn on the job.
they were able to partially weigh her on the way out--until crane lean became a little too severe to complete the job. bottom growth over a few years--i had just bought the boat-- was over 5000 pounds.
impressive.
once cleaned she was lifted with very little concern, despite being at the limit for eddies crane in 1990. the third lift by crane was easy peasy. i closed my eyes h ah aha h aha kinda..peeked out...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 11:24   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've used travel lifts, rail and cranes to life our boats. Mast up and down. My preference is a good travel lift, but all systems can work fine.

For crane lifts, spreader bars are essential for heavy boats. Position straps along bulkheads if you can.

Think about where the straps are going to contact the deck. If stanchions run to the edge you may have avoid them, or even slacken the lifelines.

Make sure you position the straps properly to balance the weight. Avoid all underbody structures (tranducers, shaft, prop, fin keel, etc).

Be very aware of strap length. You need to come up parallel to water line. You don't want the bow or stern to be angled when coming out. With our full-keeler we have to use extenders on the aft strap to maintain balance.

I always tie off the straps so they can't slide fore or aft. Loop stout lines around the straps and cleat off.
Old 24-10-2016, 11:57   #12

With our without spreader bars, tie the slings at the boat's deck level so they can't slip forward or back along the boat.

This probably won't make you feel better:

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 14:36   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Seems to me that with spreaders, the stresses on the hull are exactly the same as with a travel lift...

Here in Oz there are still a lot of yards with marine railways (called slipways here) and we've come to like them. However, their success depends a lot upon the shape and design of your keel. Many modern yachts, those with skinny blades and bulbs have issues, both with blocking the keel to prevent fore and aft tipping, and with the keel structure not being designed to bear the weight of the whole boat. But we've seen plenty of racy designs with 3 meter draughts, perched on their tiny keels with the aid of a lot of braces... but I'm always glad that they are not mine!!

Jim
Old 24-10-2016, 16:30   #14

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

Ok those are enough to give me a freakin heart attack the next time I take my out.
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 17:06   #15

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Save the heart attack for something else. I've been hauled by railway, travel lift and crane. Never a problem. If you are in a yard with a good reputation and the lift operator is sober you shouldn't have a problem.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, sail, sailboat