Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2008, 20:09   #1

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Leaking Hatches

I was at the boat and with our current 18+ inches of wet melting snow on the decks I now notice two hatches leaking.
After scraping off ice and Snow I have determined that they are not leaking at the deck joint but past the actual factory glass to metal frame joint in the lid itself...I can flex the glass and see a .001 or 2 opening between the two surfaces.

How do you effectively seal this?

Is there some penetrating type sealer one can let seep in and seal it up or do you need to pop the whole lens out and re-bed it?..In my mind that would be the proper way but figured I better ask here for some experience knowlage on the matter...and will it break needing a new lens ready made to go in?

Sorry this is the best picture I have of the hatch..as you can see it has a frame around the Plexiglas so its not a sealing issue with a gasket and dogs some may think
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_3618.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	6459  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 20:19   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
I would think some sikaflex or similar worked around the glass edge would seal it up. Perhaps put a weight in the center to flex it downward & open the gap. It would probably be worth a shot before taking out the glass and rebedding the whole shebang.
Old 26-12-2008, 20:32   #3

Boat: Swallowcraft Swift 40, Arabella
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexico Mike
One word: Ductape

Seriously, you're right that complete r/r would be the best idea, but be ready for a can 'o worms. I'd be tempted to tape around both sides of the join area and lay down a bead of sikaflex or equivalent flexable sealer for now. (If the temperature comes up enough for it to cure.)
There's nothing quite as permanent as a temporary fix!
Cheers,
Mike

www.sailinglinks.com
Mexico Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 20:32   #4

Thanks for that

I had thought of that but didnt think it would last for one ... being way to thick to get down in between it would end up rather just be a slathering on top...not wanting a glob of caulking around the edge was hoping for some clear watery consistency sealer that would actually penetrate tight tolerances.

With my full 200 lbs in the middle of the lens it is a mere couple three thousandths gap.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 26-12-2008, 20:34   #5

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I was at the boat and with our current 18+ inches of wet melting snow on the decks I now notice two hatches leaking.
After scraping off ice and Snow I have determined that they are not leaking at the deck joint but past the actual factory glass to metal frame joint in the lid itself...I can flex the glass and see a .001 or 2 opening between the two surfaces.

How do you effectively seal this?

Is there some penetrating type sealer one can let seep in and seal it up or do you need to pop the whole lens out and re-bed it?..In my mind that would be the proper way but figured I better ask here for some experience knowlage on the matter...and will it break needing a new lens ready made to go in?

Sorry this is the best picture I have of the hatch..as you can see it has a frame around the Plexiglas so its not a sealing issue with a gasket and dogs some may think
If it never leaked before it could be the seal was sufficiently chilled and shrunk causing the problem. You may want to call the manufacturer and see what they have to offer.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 20:38   #6

I should have mentioned that I covered the offending hatches with a squar of visqueen and intended to wait till spring at this point as it is just to wet for one to get good adheasion and to cold as you say.

So I was researching now for the fix this spring..or I will put it off or forget..and be in the same boat next winter..

Old 26-12-2008, 21:14   #7

Has anybody any experience with this

Life calk LIQUID
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A test.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	6460  

Old 27-12-2008, 15:29   #8

Boat: Swallowcraft Swift 40, Arabella
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexico Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Has anybody any experience with this

Life calk LIQUID
Never seen the newfangled stuff before. Sounds like just what you were looking for. I think you should volunteer to test it for us! (Maybe on a small area first in case it eats the plastic.)

What's the weather doing now? Clear and sunny yet?

Best,

Mike

www.sailinglinks.com
Mexico Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 16:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwinsailor View Post
We use Captan Tolleys creaping crack seal anytime we find a leak, while not a permanent repair it buys time until you can do the job right later on.
IS:

I see it says for use with some hard plastics..have you used in on Plexiglass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico Mike View Post
Never seen the newfangled stuff before. Sounds like just what you were looking for. I think you should volunteer to test it for us! (Maybe on a small area first in case it eats the plastic.)

What's the weather doing now? Clear and sunny yet?

Best,

Mike
Mike :

NO..and I just got in from plowing our street with a backhoe..I thought a county truck would have did it by now..it has rained lightly all day today so our 18+ inches of snow on the road turned impassable...so no sun but I got high fives from all the neighbors today anyway..

Thanks for all the advice...everyone had something to offer that I learned from...much apreciated

Old 26-12-2008, 21:22   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
The Life Caulk has a good rep. I think that they're mostly polysulfide caulks, and are easily worked with and cleaned. I haven't worked with the liquid stuff, but it sounds promising. If you use it, let us know how it worked out. I'm guessing you'll have to wait a bit for a warm, dry day to give it a try?
Old 27-12-2008, 04:28   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
We use Captan Tolleys creaping crack seal anytime we find a leak, while not a permanent repair it buys time until you can do the job right later on.
Old 27-12-2008, 05:11   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
BoatLife "Life-Caulk" (Liquid & Tube), like 3M's "101", are Polysulfide sealants.

The solvents in polysulfide sealant attack some plastics, causing them to harden and split.
Do NOT use Polysulfide to bed plastics, such as:
Acrylic (Plexiglas), Polycarbonate (Lexan), ABS or PVC.

Polysulfides are generally safe for use with Epoxy, Nylon, or Delrin.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 06:53   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
You really need to do the repair properly. The plastic, I am assuming, needs to be removed and the whole piece re-bedded when weather permits. The Creeping Crack filler will work as a temp fix until then.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 07:12   #14

I get a very occasional drip from the rotating fitting which locks my hatches. It's minor but I don't see how to seal this.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 07:55   #15

Boat: Currently boatless
I had a similar problem with a leaky Atkins and Hoyle hatch. The sealant between the frame and the acrylic appears to be some sort of soft mastik. After getting a quote for repair from A&H that was about 50% the cost of a new hatch, I tried pushing the mastik with my fingers deeper into the joint and for the last two years the "repair" seems to be holding up.

I also investigated options for a more permanent repair. Select Plastics (Select Plastics, LLC) will repair hatches (cost is pretty high--similar to A&H). I found do-it-yourself instructions at Moore 24 Forward Hatch Repair (caveat--I have no first hand experience doing it). The author recommends Dow Corning 795 or GE SILPRUF, silicone-based industrial structural adhesives designed for glazing applications, to seal the gap.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks