Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2015, 17:26   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Just got an old sewing machine

It's an old Brother TZ1-B651, one of the original SailRite machines. I was able to download the operating guide, and I found a bunch of videos on YouTube from SailRite, mostly geared to the newer models. I recall Ann Cate mentioning something about a sewing group, but I couldn't find it in CF, is it another forum? Anyone have one of these older machines who can pass along some advice on how to set it up, get parts, and actually use it?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 22:06   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Just got an old sewing machine

I found the sewing group, it is under Social Groups.

How I found it was by clicking on my avatar, which got to where the Sewing group is listed. Probably you could get there by a search on Social Groups.

Good luck with it Roy.

Ann
Old 30-06-2015, 05:42   #3

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

The machine was a Sailrite Sailmaker sewing machine. You might want to search the Sailrite Forum for comments about it. Sailrite still keeps parts and offers help for their machine.

forum.sailrite.com/

Sailrite has their guide, "The Sailrite Sailmaker Guidebook", and Brother has "Zigzag Sewing Machine Instruction Manual TZ1-B652". If you can't find them on line, drop me a note, and I send you the pdf files.

Several sellers on ebay offer parts for the Brother head as does Henderson Sewing Machine Company.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 06:16   #4
cruiser

I Googled, being curious about the machine, and found this:

Guidebook for Sailmaker Sewing Machine (PDF)
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 06:21   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Found it! Thanks, all. One more toy to learn how to play with. That's exactly the machine I got.

WOW!!!!!!!, I just checked out the Sewing Group and found this thread. Unbelievable! Thank you folks: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...g+machine.html
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 08:01   #6

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Old machines are great. Have a PFAFF 1950's Before you use it, read the manual and clean and oil it! Russ
Old 30-06-2015, 10:01   #7

Boat: Alberg 35 1966

Mmmm good luck with that!
After my experience in using available machines (one new out of the box), never again... I would rather rebed a toe rail than tackle even a "small" job with anything less than a pro machine with a jack-booted walking foot.
I made a dodger, sailcover, hatch covers etc and they all took about 5 times longer than they should have, 4 out of the 5 times being unpicks of bad stitch appearance and fixing machine jams etc. Using a Sailrite dramatically improved the work quality and reduced the time.
So as with much else related to sailboats you have to decide where to spend your time and patience.
Good sailing ... er ... sewing!!

Peter
phstol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 10:57   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by phstol View Post
Mmmm good luck with that!
After my experience in using available machines (one new out of the box), never again... I would rather rebed a toe rail than tackle even a "small" job with anything less than a pro machine with a jack-booted walking foot.
I made a dodger, sailcover, hatch covers etc and they all took about 5 times longer than they should have, 4 out of the 5 times being unpicks of bad stitch appearance and fixing machine jams etc. Using a Sailrite dramatically improved the work quality and reduced the time.
So as with much else related to sailboats you have to decide where to spend your time and patience.
Good sailing ... er ... sewing!!

Peter
Hhmm that was not my experience with my old Singer. She's an old slant model and has an add-on walking foot.

I'm currently re-making all the outdoor canvas on my boat (cushions, stack-pac, bimini, ect) and am using both V69 and Tenara thread. My Singer has performed fabulous and only stumbles on the most extreme stuff (e.g. 4 layers of Sunbrella and 2 layers of poly webbing, like 1/2 inch thick). The Tenara was fairly hard to setup, but once I got it, it sews very well. I had crank the tension all the way up and run the thread through the bobbin winding wheel (to add more tension) before it sewed well. The V69 sews well with tension at 7 or 8.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 13:08   #9

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore

I got a good deal on an older Consew 290, which included a few lessons, from former owner. But what really made the difference was by hiring an old timer, sew machine repair and maintenance guy to teach me how tune it up, make adjustments, and trouble shoot or prevent common problems. They're not cheap, but it only hurts once. From there I went on to build new or repair all the canvas on my boat and some friends' boats ( will sew for beer) along with other projects that just tend to present themselves when you have a machine that works well... hem pants, fix rips and tears in other gear, etc. That machine has paid for itself five times over, not only in money saved, but by avoiding the hassle that often comes w waiting for someone else to fix your problems. Good luck and cheers, Pappy
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sewing machine