Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 17:46   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Is Interlux Micron 99 an Acceptable Substitute for Micron 66?

Frankly, I'm balking at the cost of Interlux's Micron 66 here in Trinidad and I'm hoping that someone who haunts the CF forum has experience with both products. There's about a 25% price difference. When I asked Interlux for the difference, here's what they said:

Micron 66
Micron® 66®* is a long lasting Self-Polishing Copolymer with Biolux®, formulated to provide a level of antifouling protection not previously available in any paint.
Provides the best antifouling performance in the harshest fouling conditions for 2 years and beyond. It polishes and becomes smoother with use, reducing drag
and fuel consumption. It can be hauled and relaunched without recoating and the polishing action reduces build-up and minimizes sanding at reapplication.
Maximum protection even during stationary periods at the dock or mooring.
* Not suitable for use in fresh water

Micron 99
Micron 99 is a premium SPC antifouling developed especially for professional use on hulls over 82 feet, with ultimate multi-season performance in salt, fresh and
brackish waters. Using the latest resin and biocide technology to deliver unmatched performance, the high solid, low VOC formula reduces emissions to the
environment as well as needing fewer coats and less frequent application thus reducing maintenance costs and haul-outs. A license may be required in each
State of application.
I thank you

Can anyone tell me of a good reason not to use the Micron 99?

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 07:16   #2

Boat: Sailboat
Re: Is Interlux Micron 99 an Acceptable Substitute for Micron 66?

above never got an answer, but I am in the same situation now. Anyone with some experience?
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 07:49   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I don’t have any experience with 99, but when they say for big boats and professional application, it usually means you need a pesticide application license to apply it in the US. This may not be an issue outside of the US.

When I was selling TBT based paint, I needed a pesticide sellers license and could only sell it to licensed pesticide applicators. The record keeping was a big PITA.

99 is probably a very good paint but I don’t know anyone who has used it.
Old 23-10-2018, 05:46   #4

Boat: Sailboat

The big positive on 99 seems it will last thru freshwater (when heading up some rivers) while 66 is reported to fail when in contact with freshwater (different thread on this forum). The "professional" application requirement seems US only, one can buy 99 in the Carib from budget-marine for example.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 07:43   #5

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

Bump.....still no real world experience? Facing same decision.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 18:54   #6

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I don’t have any experience with 99, but when they say for big boats and professional application, it usually means you need a pesticide application license to apply it in the US. This may not be an issue outside of the US.

When I was selling TBT based paint, I needed a pesticide sellers license and could only sell it to licensed pesticide applicators. The record keeping was a big PITA.

99 is probably a very good paint but I don’t know anyone who has used it.
I missed this post 16 months ago, Hop.

TBT is a pesticide, requiring a license? I was thinking I was spraying my saildrives with TBT paint from Interlux spray cans, while I could still get them.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 19:16   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
TBT is a pesticide, requiring a license?
Tributyl tin is illegal in most of the world and cannot be purchased or used as an anti fouling ingredient in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
I was thinking I was spraying my saildrives with TBT paint from Interlux spray cans, while I could still get them.
Interlux does not make any products that use TbT. You're probably thinking of their copper-based Trilux 33 paint.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 05:49   #8

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Yes, I know TBT was no longer legal in US and many other places, just hadn't heard it was a pesticide requiring a license to apply. Still dubious about that.

I bought the spray cans maybe 15 years or more ago, and may have been old stock then. Quite sure it was TBT as it was bought to use on my saildrives. It was sold by Interlux as antifouling for outboard motors.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 05:53   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Going back to the original question, the descriptions of the paints make me think that Micron 99 is similar to 66, but works in fresh water. Too bad it's pro application only. Otherwise it would be a more attractive option.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 06:49   #10
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Last time I hauled I bought a few gallons of leftover micron99. Had to thin it down some to scrape the remains out of the 5 gallon tin. I applied it over the previous ablative (transocean/becc). Was amazed by how well it covered (although I had thinned it). Even got to do an extra (3rd) coat at the waterline. It is now two years later, been in salt water over a year. Adheres well. I do get soft growth and an occasional small barnacle, (I think that Roatan is a fairly high fouling area) seems to perform the same as the 66 that was on the boat when I got it. I think that the big drawback will be the cost and that it may not be available by the gallon.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 07:10   #11

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Just curious - why are you insisting on Micron 99? Performance or price?
Micron 99 could be in the same group as PPG ABC 3 - made for big boats and I think the caveat on paints made for big boats is that they may require higher speed for the ablative to wear out... I know that ABC 3 is much cheaper than yacht paints. Anyone heard anything about Transocean? - even cheaper, but I don't have any feedback.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 07:37   #12

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

The reason for my interest: currently have micron 66, back from a multi year Caribbean cruise. Will spend next year or 2 in Chesapeake Bay, before heading back out hopefully. I can put 99 right over the 66, and it will work in fresh/brackish. It’s supposed to work well without hull movement as we are now back in live aboard mode. If I change paint, most want the 66 removed back to barrier coat.

Wanted real world experience before I spend the extra money.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 07:49   #13

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Life View Post
... If I change paint, most want the 66 removed back to barrier coat.
Oh man, I feel your pain. But most does not mean all.... please check the chart I posted sometime ago which I got from International Paints - link below. You have some other options.
Good luck.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rt-228255.html
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:13   #14

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Just curious - why are you insisting on Micron 99? Performance or price?
Micron 99 could be in the same group as PPG ABC 3 - made for big boats and I think the caveat on paints made for big boats is that they may require higher speed for the ablative to wear out... I know that ABC 3 is much cheaper than yacht paints. Anyone heard anything about Transocean? - even cheaper, but I don't have any feedback.
PPG ABC 3 isn't cheaper in fact it's more expensive. ABC 3 has a coverage of around 5 m2 /l compared to nearly 10 m2 /l for Micron 99, and it's not 50% cheaper. Not in the Caribbean anyway.

Also ABC 3 needs to be applied over an epoxy paint whilst it's still soft. So that means stripping back, repainting and then antifouling. Micron can just have a primer thrown over the keyed old stuff and then applied.

There is also no mention of the biocides to fight slim with ABC 3.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Interlux