Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2013, 20:44   #31

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Is a Canvas / Sunbrella Bimini a DIY job?

Fiber glass over the old one and paint it blue.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:08   #32

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Re: Is a Canvas / Sunbrella Bimini a DIY job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
nice job, and love the supreme with the interior color.. not many go to that extreme..
The Sunbrella Supreme was selected both for the "waterproof" characteristic and for the soft interior flocking. The planned usage included making this sunshade to blot out the sun. The sunshade may be installed over the Strataglass or w/o the Strataglass, so I needed a smooth material to not scratch that plastic.

The Linen interior is much better than the Captain Navy, making the interior much brighter.

Part of the challenge w/ the two-tone fabric was deciding which color binding to use. The Captain Navy binding is used for everything visible from the outside, so some Captain Navy is visible from the inside. The Linen color binding is used when it cannot be seen from the outside.

The boat stays much cooler w/ the sunshade. This keeps the interior dry, w/ the Strataglass in-place or stowed. It is also much quieter, attenuating almost all the sound from the front.

It is great for at the dock or on-hook.

The fit is pretty good, I am satisfied w/ the fit. This is huge, about 40' tip to tip and 11' at the center, so it was a butt pain to pattern and a butt pain to sew. The wife helped moving the fabric bulk around while I sewed, saving me hours. (I'm going to keep her!)

The forward visibility is reduced, so I need to operate more slowly w/ this in-place.

Outside

Inside

Pattern
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, canvas, paracelle