Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2013, 22:28   #1

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american
Installing Nexus Instruments - Advice, Please

The old TackTick instrument set that came with my new (old) boat has resisted all attempts at calibration and repair. For instance, depth gauge only works if the display is tied to a string and tossed overboard for direct measurement, etc.

I've decided on purchasing and self-installing a whole new set of instruments, and I like the price/features on "Complete Value Packs" from Nexus (AKA Garmin). An example of the kit I'll be purchasing can be found HERE.

So, the questions:
1. Anyone have experience installing this same sort of kit? Anything you found you wish you'd had once the install began? For example, are there proprietary wires that I'll need extra lengths of? (Yes, I will ask the dealer these questions, but they don't always know or remember). I'll be doing the install far from Garmin support and general civilization, so I want to be prepared! I do have a full set of tools and decent knowledge installing stuff... Looking for gotchas!

2. The old TackTick thru-hull measures 51mm. The Nexus kit comes in either 52mm or 43mm diameter. I'm guessing it'll be easier to fit the smaller (43mm) into the existing thru-hull, as opposed to widening to fit the too-large (52mm) into that same thru-hull. Thoughts on this? (NOTE: There's only one thru-hull on the boat and I'd prefer not to make more holes).

3. Any other comments or considerations before I make the purchase and attempt the install?

Thanks in advance for any and all response.

Cheers,
-a
american is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 04:13   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Installing Nexus Instruments - Advice, Please

The Nexus units are simple to install, they use a fairly standard cable to connect the instruments to the processing unit.

I would question at this stage through why you are buying virtually 15 year old technology. Garmin is due in 2014 to replace the while line with nmea2K instruments. If I was you , I would only look at NMEA2K systems for a new install. equally you have instruments like the Garmin GMI20 and other multifunctional displays that replace a lot of individual displays

The current Nexus line is a run-out just bear that in mind

As to the through hull, personally I would be concerned at having to fill a 8mm+ gap also its more then likely that the 52mm unit will fit. easy enough to rasp off 1mm anyway.

DAve
Old 30-12-2013, 05:18   #3

Dave,
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

To answer your question regarding "why" Nexus... Honestly, I don't know any better! I've done a bit of Google searching for complete instrument packages, ready to install - compared prices - and read reviews. For whatever reason, the Internet gods did not guide me towards anything at all related to NMEA, though I did see things like the multi-function display made by Garmin that you mention.

After reading your post, I once again did a quick search for complete packages built on the NMEA standard. Either I'm doing something wrong, or no one's making such a thing (or making it easy to find?).

If you happen to have an easy link to a package you think I should take a look at, I'd be happy to see it. Please, keep in mind that I have only the one thru-hull, and so would prefer something with a tri-sensor (depth, speed, temp all on one log) with wireless wind sensor. The other consideration is cost... I like the Nexus package because it's only ~$1500USD for the complete setup. It might be old, but it seems simple and cheap. I like that.

One final thought on Nexus, etc... Despite the fact that I work in technology, my boat is blissfully tech-free. I don't mind keeping it that way... and the idea of an active 'network' on the boat - along with temptation to plug all sorts of junk into it... I might be able to live without

As for the thru-hull diameter, I've had two dealers echo your feelings on going with the 52mm diameter log as opposed to the smaller one. They all seem to think 51mm TackTick thru-hulls are made by the same people who make the 52mm Garmin thru-hulls - and that they are, in fact, the same fitting. If I'm lucky, it'll be a simple swap-and-play.

Cheers,
-a
Old 30-12-2013, 05:33   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Unless you have a burning desire to have analog type gauges and even then there are better systems ( like Furuno or SImrad). I would consider buying on eor two multifunctional displays like the new Garmin GMI20.

What I mean is looking at NMEA 2000 connectivity, whereas Nexus is still only NMEA 0183.

for example http://www.hudsonmarine.co.uk/index.php?module_display=41&pid=153354 is a better more modern setup with NMEA 2000 interfaces as well as traditional interfaces

The Nexus has the advantage that is adds digital compass , that may or may not be of value to you .

I would add a NMEA GPS to that if you like speed over the ground references as well.
Old 30-12-2013, 22:47   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We put a set of Nexus instruments on our boat about 2 years ago.

They have worked flawlessly, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

As noted, the thruhulls are all the same manufacturer. Probably just a conversion error.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 01:27   #6

Bill,
Thanks for the recommendation. After hearing from others about NMEA2k, I did a bit of research online. It's true, the devices are newer and all sorts of fun things can be attached to the network... but I like my boat simple, and if I ultimately feel the need to attach my depth sensor to my robotic head-flushing unit, Garmin sells a Nexus->NMEA network converter for $199.

I've ordered the Nexus package and expect it to arrive soon. Will install (or attempt install) during the first week of February and report back on results.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments and suggestions!

-a

Tags
lease, men, rum