Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2015, 00:41   #16

Boat: Selene 47
Re: Inflatable Dinghy Seams

After 20 years as a Parachute Rigger in the Navy, can't tell you how difficult it really is to repair a seam in a life raft. Fix one and 5 more show up, working with MEK and Toulene is difficult at best. If you have got the use out of it, don't dump any more into a short term repair. Start hunting for a replacement. You'll sleep better in the long run.

John
Pairadice S4714
CrustyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 00:50   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyChief View Post
After 20 years as a Parachute Rigger in the Navy, can't tell you how difficult it really is to repair a seam in a life raft. Fix one and 5 more show up, working with MEK and Toulene is difficult at best. If you have got the use out of it, don't dump any more into a short term repair. Start hunting for a replacement. You'll sleep better in the long run.

John
Pairadice S4714
Would re-tubing it be an effective option, do you think?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 01:06   #18

Boat: Selene 47

Just my 2cents worth. The cost to get a new set of tubes that are warranted by the manufacture and the cost to remove the old and install the new....well, ya still got an old Dingy with new tubes. How long before something else needs to be replaced.
Of course, I guess you could use that analogy with 75 percent of the dock queens that we all see.
I'm amazed that people buy a boat and use it for a bit, then either life gets in the way or personal issues force them to let it rot at the dock. Boats were made to enjoy life away from the dirt. Go figure.
CrustyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 01:12   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

When you are back on your mooring on the Hamble, take a trip up the river and go under the A27 bridge. After 100m turn into the slipway on the left and at the top of the slip is a new rib repair business. There is a rib shop on the right, but stick with the one on the left (West Bank).

Actually they have been around for a while but just move to bigger premises. The owner is called Stuart and his son is Jasper. I have known them both for 15 years and had many an adventure with them when I owned a rib.

If it needs re-tubing Stuart can probably arrange for it to go down to Paul Tilley in Devon and come back again on one of his trailers.

RIB Tubes - Tilley Inflatable Design and Engineering Ltd - Devon Plymouth UK
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 01:21   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
When you are back on your mooring on the Hamble, take a trip up the river and go under the A27 bridge. After 100m turn into the slipway on the left and at the top of the slip is a new rib repair business. There is a rib shop on the right, but stick with the one on the left (West Bank).

Actually they have been around for a while but just move to bigger premises. The owner is called Stuart and his son is Jasper. I have known them both for 15 years and had many an adventure with them when I owned a rib.

If it needs re-tubing Stuart can probably arrange for it to go down to Paul Tilley in Devon and come back again on one of his trailers.

RIB Tubes - Tilley Inflatable Design and Engineering Ltd - Devon Plymouth UK
That's sounds like a good plan. I got well gouged by the guys on the right after the bridge, but I'll give these other ones a try.

Meanwhile I think my main problem is the valve in the forward tube. I will try to figure out how to repair that, and I should be ok for the rest of this cruise.

Then maybe if they can patch it, I'll sell it on and buy a new one.

Or if it can't be patched, then have it re-tubed, take the console out, and change for a normal tiller steered, smaller engine, so that I can get the weight off my davits.

This Avon 340 is actually a perfectly good little RIB; I would just like to make it lighter and simpler. The wheel steering has turned out not to be worth the trouble, and the console takes up space and adds weight. The wheel steering also makes it impossible to take the engine off easily for going into the davits.

Sounds like a decent plan; thanks for all the advice.
Old 29-06-2015, 01:28   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Video of Tilley Ribs is worth watching. If you can identify the valve and there are lots of different types, we can send one to you.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 04:12   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
As to cleaning up the glue that preceded the SC4000, it was Toluene that was the thinner for SC2000. Very hard for mere mortals to get now. Maybe it was MEK for the Bostic glue which had such a freaking short shelf life, I don't remember.....

Ann
A quick aside...
Ann, I was somewhat surprised to see Toluene for sale at Bunnings in Perth 4 years ago so perhaps not so hard to get although the East coast may have different retail regulations.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 04:20   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
... Meanwhile I think my main problem is the valve in the forward tube. I will try to figure out how to repair that, and I should be ok for the rest of this cruise...
Avon Valves & Repair Kits:

Ron Hale Marine Ltd - Avon Spares and Accessories

Westport Marina, Avon Inflatable BoatS Valve types, parts, service

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 04:42   #24
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
That's sounds like a good plan. I got well gouged by the guys on the right after the bridge, but I'll give these other ones a try.

Meanwhile I think my main problem is the valve in the forward tube. I will try to figure out how to repair that, and I should be ok for the rest of this cruise.

Then maybe if they can patch it, I'll sell it on and buy a new one.

Or if it can't be patched, then have it re-tubed, take the console out, and change for a normal tiller steered, smaller engine, so that I can get the weight off my davits.

This Avon 340 is actually a perfectly good little RIB; I would just like to make it lighter and simpler. The wheel steering has turned out not to be worth the trouble, and the console takes up space and adds weight. The wheel steering also makes it impossible to take the engine off easily for going into the davits.

Sounds like a decent plan; thanks for all the advice.
Often valves seep because the rubber is old. Replacement is the cure, but...

You can get by for a long time by wiping a few drops of glycerin on the gaskets and on the valve internals. Repeat every few months (it dries very slowly). It won't hurt the Hypalon and it will dramatically slow the leaks. This may be the best mid-cruise solution.
Old 29-06-2015, 05:20   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Often valves seep because the rubber is old. Replacement is the cure, but...

You can get by for a long time by wiping a few drops of glycerin on the gaskets and on the valve internals. Repeat every few months (it dries very slowly). It won't hurt the Hypalon and it will dramatically slow the leaks. This may be the best mid-cruise solution.
Hot tip. I suppose some silicone lube like Astroglide would work just as well,or is silicone contraindicated?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 29-06-2015, 06:27   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Hot tip. I suppose some silicone lube like Astroglide would work just as well,or is silicone contraindicated?
Never use any product that contains silicone on your inflatable boat (silicone is absorbed into the hypalon). Applying silicone to your boat will make it extremely difficult to apply a patch to your inflatable boat should it ever need repair. Even years later it will be difficult to successfully apply a patch.

According to the Zodiac Recessed Valve Insert Installation Instructions:
“Never use any lubricant on Zodiac or other inflatable valves.”
Westport Marina on Lake Champlain ZODIAC Inflatable Valve Repair Instructions

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 07:50   #27

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

As usual, GordMay provides the key info. Never, ever use ArmorAll or other silicone material for inflatable repair. Use 303 AeroSpace Protectant. Here are some YouTube vids showing procedures for repair and maintenance of inflatables:

And some pdf info: http://3sheetstothewind.your-photosh...aintenance.pdf

Once the boat is repaired, follow these tips for maintenance of hypalon or pvc boats. Note, I have no connection to this or other companies. I just appreciate good advice and communication:
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 10:05   #28

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Astroglide? Certainly a new use for that product. Probably a lot cheaper in LA.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 11:09   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Astroglide? Certainly a new use for that product. Probably a lot cheaper in LA.

Mark
I'm in Scandinavia. What can I say
Old 29-06-2015, 14:21   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

No reason not to re-tube, if the hull is sound. Saves about 1/2, here in Oz. In our case, the hull is aluminium, with excellent powder coating--it'd have been a crime to put it in the tip!

Ann

Tags
dinghy, inflatable