Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 09:56   #1

Boat: Fisksatra Havsfidra
Improving Self Draining Cockpits

My yacht has a self draining cockpit.
However whilst motoring or in a following sea the cockpit doesn´t drain it fills, and then drains, and then fills and drains etc. etc. etc.

Immiediately i presume this is because the level of the cockpit sole is too close to the waterline and the piping for the drain is direct with no one way valve (a sea cock is there).

Apart from raising the level of the through hull fitting, or raising the height of the cockpit sole, has anybody got a better solution??

In last months ´practical boat owner´there was a fairly good article on this subject, however none of the solutions, (fitting rubber flaps) seems like a long term or seaworthy approach.

Suggestions please?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:01   #2

Boat: Islander 36
Re: Improving Self Draining Cockpits

I was going to ask if you had thought about crossing the drain hoses. But then I noticed that you have the problem when motoring ect. Sumpthin ain't right there. Your cockpit sole must be way close to the waterline.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:09   #3

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Other than sea boots, it sounds like raising the sole is the easy way out. Maybe you could use the space for a water or fuel tank, if you could balance the added weight aft.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There are cockpit drains with integral one way valves. Believe it's just a ball that floats to stop back flow. A standard check valve probably wouldn't work. The swing flap kind won't swing closed reliably if mounted vertically. The spring seal kind won't open unless there is a lot water in the cockpit to provide pressure to compress the spring. If there is such a thing as ping pong ball type check valve, that could work.

Everything else failing, a teak cockpit grate would probably keep your feet dry.

Is the boat floating on it's lines or has it sunk lower in the water from accumulated detritus. If it's the latter, a 'stuff' diet might help a lot.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:19   #5

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Looked up your Fisksatra Havsfidra. It doesn't seem possible that such a craft would have a cockpit floor at the waterline, so riding low does seem like the first thing to check. A more bizarre cause could be something stuck in (both??) drain hoses tight enough to let water sit on top of it, but loose enough to float up and pump the standing water into the cockpit - - - naw, that's too strange.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 23:25   #6

If you have a look at my website, you´ll see some photo´s of my havsfidra.
The cockpit floor does seem to only be about half a foot above the waterline, and the through hull fitting is actually 1cm below the bootstrap. I think this is the main problem.

also currently i´m only at half load, i have full fuel (only about 30litres) and no water, however the water tank is at the bow and therefore maybe fore and aft trim is part of the problem. however looking from the shore and at photo´s the trim seems fine.

I think the solution of raising the cockpit sole with a permanent raised flooring is a good idea, also fitting one of the above mentioned in line valves would be useful.

The extra height could allow some extra stowage in the cabin which is sorely needed!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:37   #7

The cockpit floor of my outrigger (asymmetrical) cat is barely above sea level and the rubber flaps on the two drains aft work just fine. Such flaps have also worked just fine for a helluva lot of folk over a similar number of years and, while cheap, are a perfectly seaworthy solution. They cost less then ten doleros from the shop or you can make them yourself for fifty cents. Try it before you try anything else more expensive.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:30   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Take a look at the Perko #0142 Scupper. It has the built in float ball that Roverhi mentioned. PERKO Inc. - Underwater Hardware - Cockpit Scupper
Old 02-06-2011, 08:52   #9

Is the boat on it's design waterline? Or like many cruisers, overloaded? A trim adjustment or several trips to the dumpster might be the easiest solution. Or just wear boots
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 23:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Take a look at the Perko #0142 Scupper. It has the built in float ball that Roverhi mentioned. PERKO Inc. - Underwater Hardware - Cockpit Scupper
Looks fantanstic and could be the solution im after, thanks.
I will see if it can be found this side of the pond.