Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2014, 04:27   #31

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: I hate steering wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c-m View Post
My wife and I have a Catalina 400. It has two stearing wheels. It handles great, and the entire cockpit is available both at anchor and under way. I find myself frequently moving from one wheel to the other for better visibility, and I can move freely forward (and back) to take care of sail trim or other stuff. Tillers and wheels both have advantages and disadvantages; having used both, I prefer a properly functioning wheel - it seems more comfortable and less tiring. Like any other gear, it needs to be properly maintained and inspected regularly. So, whichever suits your fancy, get out there and have a great sail!
Oh yes, our auto pilot (raymarine) has a rudder angle guage. Very useful.)
On a well balanced 7 ton boat, it doesn't require much effort. Sailing off the wind in a gale is an exception, but a wheel is tiresome too. I have a wheel, want a tiller. On a boat like mine, it is a matter of preference. The smallish offshore cockpit, combined with a wheel, makes for cluttered space. Then there's the vane, and the simplicity of a tiller pilot, and combining the two.

For now, I shall try the blonde-hippy-ninja style
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 04:49   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: I hate Steering Wheels

So many of the comments in favor or opposed to the wheel are related to the boat design and equipment. Quadrant / Hydraulic ; Center / Aft Cockpit ; Dodger / Full Bimini ; Wide clearance for walking by... ; Autopilot.... rudder indicator.... etc. I don't see how what works for me on my boat could transfer to others.
Old 22-05-2014, 04:58   #33

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: I hate steering wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Matt,

I forget what sort of auto pilot you have, but many of them have a rudder angle gauge as part of their display. Both our Auto-Nav and our Nav Man do so, and that is useful. Don't have to be steering the boat, just switched on to get the display.

Cheers,

Jim
Ditto
Old 27-05-2014, 14:04   #34

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: I hate Steering Wheels

It's not so much a problem with the wheel that I have underway -- I would prefer a tiller, but a wheel is fine. Though the smaller wheels mentioned might be the ticket.

And at the dock I can remove the wheel.

The main problem I have is the damn pedestal. I have found a couple smaller ones online, but wonder about their quality.

Thanks to all for their input.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering, wheel