Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 12:39   #1
F51

Hydraulic steering question

I'm new to hydraulic steering and don't know if my situation is normal or not. I have a teleflex capilano pump at the wheel and two opposing cylinders at the rudder post. When I go to full rudder (port or starboard), I can feel when the rudder gets to the stop, but if I keep some pressure on the wheel, it will slowly turn. Is this a big problem, just a nuisance, or the nature of the beast? It doesn't seem to affect my ability to control the rudder at all.
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 13:04   #2

Boat: Irwin 40
Re: Hydraulic steering question

All systems are a bit different however I recall the Capilano system not giving when hard over. Some systems will have pressure relief valves in the system that will allow bypass of fluid. It could also be a sign of leak by in the cylinder or helm pump or possible air in the system. Does the helm hold steady when motoring or sailing? or do you find you keep having to turn the wheel slowly in the same direction to stay on course? If you do then you have a leaky seal in the helm of cylinder. If it feels a bit mushy it could be air. Check the fluid level in the helm for starters and make sure it is topped up. Bleeding can be a pain in the ass more so if your system is not set up with bleed bypass valves. Try calling teleflex and talking to a tech there I have found them very helpful in the past.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 18:11   #3

Boat: SeaWind 850
Hi,
You may test your system.
cszosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 18:23   #4

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Hydraulic steering question

My Capilano system gets pretty hard when it's all the way over. I creeps the little tiniest bit but there'a a distinct hard spot at the end that you can't miss. I don't think that the system is difficult to bleed at all.
You fill the reservoir (or the highest reservoir if you have dual helms) and SLOWLY turn the helm hard over one way, let it rest there for 2-3 full minutes and turn it SLOWLY over the other way, let it rest 2-3 full minutes and repeat 3-4 times on each side, checking the reservoir often.
Old 07-03-2013, 19:02   #5

Boat: SeaWind 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by cszosler View Post
Hi,
You may test your system.
Hi,
With ruder quadrant midship mark top of the wheel, turn wheel one way to lock, keep turning. Stop when wheel top mark well be halfway from when in lock position. Turn wheel back, stop when ruder will be midship. See if mark on the wheel is on top. If yes, perfect, OK. If not, start looking for "why?"
cszosler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering