Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2015, 15:30   #1

Hull repaint on a Benneteau 473

I have purchased a 473 Clipper which has a blue hull. The finish of the hull has deteriorated to the extent that the dullness and fading cant be polished out. I intend to paint the hull white using two pack. Anyone aware of this problem? Any advice on how I should go about the repaint?. I will be using an experienced marine painter.
David.
David Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 15:41   #2

Boat: 1965 TollyCraft Voyager
Re: Hull repaint on a Benneteau 473

Not to be unhelpful, but if you are going to use an experienced marine painter, let him propose to you how he suggests going about the project, perhaps at two or three different price points based on materials. I doubt he would appreciate you telling him how to do it based on our (the interweb) input. I hope the finished product exceeds your expectations
MVNoPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 16:00   #3

I wouldn't try to save any money on the paint as most of the $$$ (labor) is in the prep work. Hard to go wrong with Awl-grip and or Awl-craft. Awl grip is the hardest paint there is but its not so easy to touch up if required. Awl craft is softer but easy to make repairs to. There are strong opinions in both camps.
While dark gelcoat colors tend to fade Benni's dark blue seem to be in a league of their own. Good luck
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 20:41   #4

Hi Robert,

Thanks this is very helpful. In his quote the painter indicates he will be using two pack urethane, $2000 for paint and consumables plus 60 hours labour at a cost of $4800. How does two pack urethane compare with the Awl-grip or awl-craft products you mentioned?
Old 01-11-2015, 20:47   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lord View Post
Hi Robert,

Thanks this is very helpful. In his quote the painter indicates he will be using two pack urethane, $2000 for paint and consumables plus 60 hours labour at a cost of $4800. How does two pack urethane compare with the Awl-grip or awl-craft products you mentioned?

Application method? Any assurances about peel, brush strokes, dust, fisheyes, and other imperfections?

It's an excellent price. Did he show you any previous work? In the flesh, or just pictures?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 21:04   #6

I have seen some of his previous works in the marina and the finish looks very good. He talks about achieving an 'automotive finish'. They talk about regular maintenance being required to maintain the finish involving polishing at least once a year, twice yearly preferred.
Old 01-11-2015, 21:54   #7
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lord View Post
I have seen some of his previous works in the marina and the finish looks very good. He talks about achieving an 'automotive finish'. They talk about regular maintenance being required to maintain the finish involving polishing at least once a year, twice yearly preferred.

Strange. What is the product used?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 22:52   #8

Changing the colour to white is highly inadvisable. I suggest painting it as close as possible to the original colour. Otherwise, every scratch will shoe up blue.

I am very impressed with the durability of my awlgrip paint, and would never use anything else.

Touching up small scratches is easy.. I have a bottle of awlgrip touch up paint, and stratch repairs are as easy as could be. I understand that larger repairs are hard to blend in.

I suspect that your hull is blue Awlgrip, not gelcoat, in which case you do not polish it. That damages the finish. You could try Awlwash, followed by Awlcare.

On the other hand, if the hull really is blue gelcoat, it should be possible to sand down to non-oxidised gelcoat, and then polish.

Tags
hull, paint