Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2016, 00:27   #1

How to remove stuck injector and valve clearances

The number one cylinder injector, the hardest to get to of course, on my Perkins 6.354 NA is stuck. I have removed the other five quite easily but no amount of levering, hammering or swearing will get this last one out. I tried turning the engine over on the starter motor with no result. I have run WD-40 into the lip. The top half will twist just slightly in the bore on the studs, so the lower half must be stuck. I have tapped down and on the top half while leveraging upward but nothing is moving this sucker. Any good ideas? I'll get some ATF and acetone into it tomorrow but looking for other ideas. I'm even thinking of putting everything back together and running the engine with the stuck injector not bolted down. Surely the engine firing will push it out, but how violently?

While I had the injectors out it seemed sensible to check the valve clearances. But what should they be? They are nicely set to be 0.012" cold for exhaust and inlet. Is this right? My research found many different gap sizes quoted and this isn't one of them. Though Perkins say 0.012" hot for both valves, which I'm not. How much variation is there between hot and cold on one of these engines. It's not exactly high performance so providing valves are allowed to close I suspect any gap would be fine.

Thanks in advance for your help on these items.

Cheers,

Martin
mrh123 is offline   Reply With Quote