Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 23:47   #1
Marine Service Provider

DUD John Deere Injector Pump Stuck on Engine - Help!

My JD 150hp injector pump failed at sea, 880 hrs, drifting onto reef I fitted spare but it failed at 21 hrs? now stuck in Tarawa, Kiribati..the tapered drive shaft of the injector pump is stuck/seized onto the drive gear. Sort of like a tapered prop shaft stuck on a propellor. Unless I get it off I cannot remove the pump and fit another. I have a puller with two retaining bolts that thread into the gear( like prop) and a big centre bolt that threads down onto the tapered shaft to pull the gear "off the taper" and release the pump...BUT the two retaining bolts fitted to the gear keep breaking...they are 8.8 tensile..I have some 12.9 tensile bolts arriving by DHL tomorrow??.( but fear they may break too???)..for the previous pump replacement at sea, I just used a hammer banging on the Tapered shaft (with nut fitted) and the gear( like Prop) up against the block...it finally released/poped....now I am having no luck banging with a big hammer....have tried heating it to 130c..I used oil on the taper when fitting the spare pump...

Now I fear it is seized on somehow..may have to pull the front of the engine appart to remove front cover and destroy the gear/shaft to get the pump off...I am at anchor with a dead ship??? any comments ideas greatly appreciated..last resort stuff? ...blog at www.bluetreasure.me thanks.
Dondon462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 00:26   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Help? DUD John Deere Injector pump stuck on engine

Don, you have done everything I can think of. The East coast forumites will be up in a few hours, hopefully then will have a suggestion.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:35   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Help? DUD John Deere Injector pump stuck on engine

Don,

Have you tried shrinking it off, using the horn of a CO2 extinguisher as the freezer. Protect you skin from the crystalled CO2.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:29   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Call John Deere?

Can you call John Deere technical support?

My only real experience of them has been when buying, but I did find them committed to their customers.

Your Local dealer is :-

John Deere Asia Ltd. Address: Unit 707, 7/F Lippo Sund Plaza, 28 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui Kowloon HONG KONG Phone: 852-3105-0818 Fax: 852-3105-0331/2 E-mail Address: DIESEL-AS@JOHNDEERE.COM

If you could tell us the engine model number it could help.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 22:39   #5
Marine Service Provider

Re: DUD John Deere Injector Pump Stuck on Engine - Help!

Thanks..have tried to get pump shaft cold but very poor access..just 1inch of shaft sticking out of gear....just using ice packs...the engine is model 4545TFM50...and injector pump a Stanadyne RE503161

Bolts did not arrive on DHL today..hopefully tommorrow?..that will be my last chance at anything normal??

I will then also send an interesting email to JD in USA..At this stage they just say use pusher tool...JD sales agent for this engine was EMTL in Tiawan...Boat built in China..the first pump failed on sea trials at 20 hours...so now trying to fit my fourth...long story, but not the issue at the moment..just want to get this one off...thanks for the comments,,,( happy for more) when it is stuck it is just stuck....and I know it should just 'Pop"..but when it doesn't???????......not a pretty prospect??

THANKS....Don
Old 02-08-2011, 23:15   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not the 4045...

That's bad news. I've a 4045D...

I'm nowhere near a mechanic but when I have something stuck, as you seem to, I like to put some continuous pressure on it using clamps and then to use the other tricks to get it loose.

Just put what seems like reasonable pressure and let nature take its course.

Keep in mind this is from one who shears off bolts from time to time.

The "idea" behind it is that when something is stuck sometimes it may move a little, but then whatever is holding it pulls it back.

I've used this to get old portholes out, but nothing as major as the engine.
Old 02-08-2011, 23:56   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Injector pump

I've found the part in my manual about the injector pump. I'm not sure it applies to you.

I cannot copy it easily. If would be of assistance please let me know and I'll see if I can get it to you. The whole Acrobat file is 5Mb.
Old 03-08-2011, 00:46   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Manual?

I don't know if this applies to your engine, but this is what's in my manual...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPage072.jpg
Views:	1364
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	30150   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPage073.jpg
Views:	6425
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	30151  

Name:	SPage074.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	30152   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPage075.jpg
Views:	2812
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	30153  

Name:	SPage077.jpg
Views:	2596
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	30154   Click image for larger version

Name:	SPage078.jpg
Views:	3044
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	30155  

Old 03-08-2011, 00:52   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Page 76

And one more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SPage076.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	30156  
Old 05-08-2011, 17:25   #10

Oxyacetylene torch. Or maybe an abrasive cutoff wheel if you are timid. Cutting off the injection pump from the outside might be better because of the mess. Protect other parts with water soaked towels. Seriously. Try not to burn the pretty red to boat to the waterline. The 12 pound hammering early on probably expanded the shaft.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 18:25   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I’d hold off on the cutting.... I mean if you cut the pump off isn’t the offending taper still going to be fit together with just less to pull on?

When dealing with stubborn tapers, I load in the “apart” direction as much force as I can muster... wedges, pryers, whatever, then shock load with a hammer... even in the wrong direction will a lot of times pop it loose.
Old 05-08-2011, 18:46   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Sometimes a light tap in the right place is all you need after loading up with the puller.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 22:01   #13
Marine Service Provider

Hey thanks so much for all this good advice...things have got a bit worse over the past weeks??...in the end after trying everything...and I mean everything...we decided it has seized good and proper...probably because we fitted the new shaft taper into the gear at room temperature..when the gear was still warm..so it expanded into place...remember we did this in a dead ship while drifting onto a reef...so did not think to heat the shaft before putting it in...also we oiled the shaft before putting it in and you are supposed to put it in dry...anyway too late now...if you want the ongoing saga it is on our blog...anyway now we have decided to take the timing gear cover off the front of the engine.( you cannot cut the shaft or drill it out)..we have managed to release the shaft out of the injector pump..but it is still stuck in the gear...so when we get the Timing gear cover off, we can just pull the gear and shaft out together..fit a new gear and new pump...BIG PROBLEM though..we need special tools to remove the crankshaft oil seal and wear sleeve out of the Timing Gear cover and John Deer say bad luck...can't supply for three months...so here we are..stuck in Kiribati..in a bad anchorage with a stuffed engine for the past 6 weeks!!! and now we may be here for another few months..UNBELIEVABLE!!!..I can fly in an engineer for $8000 plus parts and get it done in a few weeks...but WOW!!!...the JD agent in Taiwan has not been helpful...long story but now we are still in the ****!!!...life was simple once...Thanks again...Don

Tags
engine, injector pump