Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 10:03   #1

How to REC?

Hi, I want your knowledges.
I sail every weekend with 420.

I want to make a movie introduces our sailing team. So I want to record my sailing with my camera.
But I have no idea how to fix it on deck,tiller or boom of my boat.
I want to record movies such as this picture.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1441213197.765782.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	108315

And I have no money...orz
Please tell my how to fix it cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Kaito Matsumura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:53   #2

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Re: How to REC?

First, what kind of camera are you using? Wide angle action cams are going to be what you want to look for easy self focusing, self exposing and waterproof cameras. GOPRO is the go to in action cams, there are more brands than Gopro but thats what I use and recommend. So lets say you using a gopro, now you need the tripod foot mount for it so you can mount it to any 1/4-20 accessory. Next buy a mini magic arm with a super clamp like this: http://www.amazon.com/ATian-Articula...lamp+magic+arm

This is going to allow you to mount the go pro on the end and let you clamp to any part of you boat. Suction cup mounts work great a well as do pole mounts for attaching to the end of a boat hook. Next you will need to be able to edit and post your work with a decent computer that can handle video editing. Remember if you buy the cream of the crop go pro, shoot in 4k resolution and have a windows 98 pc that you think you can edit on, think again! The camera to computer match is very important, even editing Standard definition takes some competing power.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 02-09-2015, 11:50   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

You want the camera on a non-moving part of the boat to cover large area and make sure the foreground (of which there will be visually heaps) interesting. Same like a wide angle image composition.

If the camera has a threaded socket, I have seen neat suction cups (dollars). Otherwise try 3M double velcro strip ("Dual Lock 3M). Residue glue cleans with acetone.

PS I found it easier to shoot with at least two cameras from two different points and mixing the video afterwards.

PS2 Get good sound/mic that can be yet another device. Then mix the sound with your video in post-processing. Great sound makes a good video outstanding.

Good luck and have fun,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 18:29   #4

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

420?
Are you talking about cannabis-influenced sailing?

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 02-09-2015, 22:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
First, what kind of camera are you using? Wide angle action cams are going to be what you want to look for easy self focusing, self exposing and waterproof cameras. GOPRO is the go to in action cams, there are more brands than Gopro but thats what I use and recommend. So lets say you using a gopro, now you need the tripod foot mount for it so you can mount it to any 1/4-20 accessory. Next buy a mini magic arm with a super clamp like this: http://www.amazon.com/ATian-Articula...lamp+magic+arm

This is going to allow you to mount the go pro on the end and let you clamp to any part of you boat. Suction cup mounts work great a well as do pole mounts for attaching to the end of a boat hook. Next you will need to be able to edit and post your work with a decent computer that can handle video editing. Remember if you buy the cream of the crop go pro, shoot in 4k resolution and have a windows 98 pc that you think you can edit on, think again! The camera to computer match is very important, even editing Standard definition takes some competing power.

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks for replying.

I don't have wide-angle camera like GoPro.
I have this⇩
Nikon S33WH
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00TEY2M..._3R95vb7Q81MAM

So I found it is difficult to record a movie like that picture with my camera.

About PC, I have a laptop with i5.
I think I can edit with it.

Old 02-09-2015, 22:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
You want the camera on a non-moving part of the boat to cover large area and make sure the foreground (of which there will be visually heaps) interesting. Same like a wide angle image composition.

If the camera has a threaded socket, I have seen neat suction cups (dollars). Otherwise try 3M double velcro strip ("Dual Lock 3M). Residue glue cleans with acetone.

PS I found it easier to shoot with at least two cameras from two different points and mixing the video afterwards.

PS2 Get good sound/mic that can be yet another device. Then mix the sound with your video in post-processing. Great sound makes a good video outstanding.

Good luck and have fun,
b.

Thanks for replying.

I'll try to found 3M double Velcro strip in Amazon.
Thanks for good advise.

And I try to record with 2 cameras.
One will be at deck of my boat. The other records from coach boat.(Actually, this camera(coach boat camera) is iPhone packed with water-proof bag.)

Old 02-09-2015, 22:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks for replying.

I don't have action cam.
I have this ⇩
Nikon S33WH https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00TEY2M..._3R95vb7Q81MAM

So I may not record movies like that picture.
I try to find a new way.

About PC,I have i5 laptop.
I think it is able to edit movies.

Thanks for your good advise.

Old 02-09-2015, 22:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
420?
Are you talking about cannabis-influenced sailing?

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?

Sorry, I can't understand
「Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?」.

I am Japanese High School Student. So My English is cheap, sorry.