Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2007, 00:49   #46

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Alan, I had some left over from my job (about 90% of the bottle). I wish I had known, could have given it to you.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 00:50   #47

There are a few more secrets if you want to pm me. Mind you, it you have already done it I better shut up.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 15:13   #48

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
Hi Folks,

New to this site. Thanks in advance for any help / advice!!

I have removed my old plastic frame acrylic portlights, form my 1978 Seafarer 30, and will most likely be doing something similar to the article below:
How to install boat windows and port lights

However, I have a few questions:
1. I will painting the deck, and cabintop (most likely with 1 or 2 part epoxy paint). Should I mask off an inch or so around each window opening, so that the adhesive tape will stcik to the gelcoat, instead of new paint?

2. A few posts mention primer, but I didn't recall that being among the steps described in the coastalpassage webpage. Is it necessary with the (3M) 2 sided tape, or only when using a caulking form of adhesive like sika, or the autoglass stuff?

3. As my new lexan or acrylic windows won't be recessed, is it the general thought that evne a big wave, breaking over the bow, could not peel the window off, etc, without use of screws, or through-bolts.

Finally, please post any other tips, that you may have learned the hard way.

Darrell
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 15:58   #49

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
I thought that I had already posted these in here, but apparently I forgot to.
Here are a couple of pictures of the windows (or fixed portlights) that I did on my Cal 29 this way. They went on beautifully and I am confident that they will hold up as well as the cabin sides and top.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=3903&c=2
http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=3902&c=2

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 16:28   #50

clausont - Great job. I hope mine turn out that well. Did you bevle the edge of the lexan, or is it just the black caulikg that make it appear that way?
Old 18-01-2008, 18:59   #51

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Sikaflex vs. Life-Seal

I hear everyone talking about Sikaflex but is anyone familiar with Life-Seal by Boat Life? If so, have they had success with using it for securing and sealing Lexan (polycarbonate) windows? It is a polyurethane AND silicon formula that gives the adhesion of the polyurethane with the flexibility of silicon. And is Sikaflex strictly a silicon - thus requiring you to use the sticky 3M tape for adhesion?
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 19:54   #52

Still no leaks!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
Did my windows in Sika 295uv over a year ago. Used the expensive primers etc and no leaks yet......touch wood.
Old 18-01-2008, 20:14   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
It is a polyurethane AND silicon formula
That is called MS silicon or urathane depending on which brand you buy. MS stands for Modified Silicon and is supperior to plain Silicon. Sikaflex is a range of products. Not just one product. For the adhesive sealant range, there is a numbering system. As Seafox states above, Sikaflex 295uv. The uv Stands for UV proof. Sikaflex also do a primer for Polycarbonate and Acrylic sheet. It helps adhere the Sika sealant to the sheeting, which tends to be difficult to stick to. It is also a UV protectant that stops the break down of the sealant bond.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 23:17   #54

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
1. I will painting the deck, and cabintop (most likely with 1 or 2 part epoxy paint). Should I mask off an inch or so around each window opening, so that the adhesive tape will stcik to the gelcoat, instead of new paint?

2. A few posts mention primer, but I didn't recall that being among the steps described in the coastalpassage webpage. Is it necessary with the (3M) 2 sided tape, or only when using a caulking form of adhesive like sika, or the autoglass stuff?

3. As my new lexan or acrylic windows won't be recessed, is it the general thought that evne a big wave, breaking over the bow, could not peel the window off, etc, without use of screws, or through-bolts.
I would be fixing the windows before painting to avoid having to touch up areas where you have over masked.

primer is a requirement for sikkaflex.

I have read the reports about fixing with sikka without bolts. I recognise the advantages of the clean lines etc, however, in positions where the windows could be attacked by a big wave, I would be through bolting!

I would not be considering 3m without through bolts wherever you fit the windows.

Make sure you get the right sikka product, because most are very sensitive to UV, but there is a special window one.
Old 19-01-2008, 10:10   #55

Boat: First learning :) but I'll buy one once im ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Why do you haver a thing for sex with widows?

I thought it was virgins who drive men wild?

hahhaha

I'll second that

LBCS
CptnLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 13:04   #56

Talbot - thaks for the input.

My reason for wanting to put the new lexan / acrylic windows in after painting, was the ease of painting, without masking around the windows. I had planned on masking a strip (approx 1") around eac opening, so that the new paint didn't cover the glecoat, therefore allowing the sika - or 3M tape to adhere directly to the gelcoat.

Re: the use of 3M tape, without bolts. I am diefintely looking for opinions, and appreciate yours. iN the coastal passage artical, they are advocating the use of 3M tape without through-bolting. Some posts have stated that teh tape is used to hold heavy glass or metal panels on new skyscrapers, without other mechanical attachments,so this is why I am trying to find out how people think this would hold up.

I am leaning more toward the 3M tape, than the Sika - Does anyone know if the 3M tape requires primer as well, or can the tape be applied directly to gelcoat?
Old 22-01-2008, 12:41   #57

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
clausont - Great job. I hope mine turn out that well. Did you bevle the edge of the lexan, or is it just the black caulikg that make it appear that way?
Sorry for the delayed reply NorthEaster - I left the edge of the Lexan pretty rough so the Dow would be able to grip it well. I made it look like it was beveled with the Dow.
Thanks

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 14:01   #58

one of the joys...

one of the joys of owning a Cape Dory..

Solid 5/8" tempered glass set in bronze opening PORTS....

Windows are for houses!!haha

I just had to say it!!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 15:34   #59

Boat: Gib'Sea, 422, 42 ft, Erato
Send a message via Yahoo to skipperaris Send a message via Skype™ to skipperaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post

I am leaning more toward the 3M tape, than the Sika - Does anyone know if the 3M tape requires primer as well, or can the tape be applied directly to gelcoat?
Yes it does need a primer according to the 3M site. It needs SCOTCH BRAND TAPE PRIMER 2262-H which comes with a lot of cautions as it can be hazardous.

go to Application Techniques: Clean, pressure, temperature, time, adhesion promoters, removal

skipperaris

web site
skipperaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 11:58   #60

Boat: Gib'Sea, 422, 42 ft, Erato
Send a message via Yahoo to skipperaris Send a message via Skype™ to skipperaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post

Windows are for houses!!haha

I just had to say it!!
I agree. Wish I could trade my nicely faired plastic lights for a number of solid 5/8" tempered glass set in bronze opening PORTS.... although I would not enjoy brass rubbing, especially the fiddly parts.

skipperaris

web site
skipperaris is offline   Reply With Quote