Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2013, 14:22   #16
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Have the Chinese missed a market?

yes, in many countries they are widely used, and can be fixed on the cheap.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 03:46   #17

Boat: CT-47
My Chinese 6 HP 2 stroke outboard runs fine and cost about 400 us including an external tank. Only had it for some months, lets see how long it lasts.

Managed to "pull" our 43' about 6 km along a passage due to engine failure of the inboard engine, saved my day and still running.
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 05:30   #18

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Have the Chinese Missed a Market?

I must agree a 100$ units tablet can do more than a 1000$ units plotter. Waterproofing should not be such a great challenge.

I hope someone out there listening and making a business plan.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 05:50   #19

Boat: Manta 42
Chain seems like a pretty easy item to be manufactured at low cost by Asian Countries, but it has not worked out that way has it. None of us would sleep well at anchor w/ Asian chain holding us.

I'm sure there are a few things from Asia that are 'just as good' but buyer beware until the items have been proven and then the manufacturing processes can change over night. Rich
bahamarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 06:00   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamarich View Post
Chain seems like a pretty easy item to be manufactured at low cost by Asian Countries, but it has not worked out that way has it. None of us would sleep well at anchor w/ Asian chain holding us.
Rich
Rich ... 'm afraid: What you don't know you don't worry about:

Asian Star Anchor Chain Co., Ltd. Jiangsu (AsAc) is a specialized manufacturer of anchor chains and offshore mooring chains. With its head quarter located in Jingjiang, Jiangsu Province, AsAc has about 2000 employees and its subsidiaries are set up in Zhenjiang, Maanshan, etc.

Established in 1981, the company has developed as the largest producer in the world whose annual output of anchor chains is 300,000 tons. Over the past years, its production, sale and exports have ranked No.1 among its competitors. With 60% of its products are exported to regions around the world, AsAc is now the largest production and export base of anchor chains and offshore......
vRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 06:23   #21

That may be the case, but do you want that chain on your boat?
Old 23-09-2013, 06:33   #22

Talking Re: Have the Chinese Missed a Market?

Quote:
That may be the case, but do you want that chain on your boat?
You do not get me ...
Are YOU sure you do not have a chain from them on your boat ?
Old 23-09-2013, 06:57   #23

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabilo View Post
My Chinese 6 HP 2 stroke outboard runs fine and cost about 400 us including an external tank. Only had it for some months, lets see how long it lasts.

Managed to "pull" our 43' about 6 km along a passage due to engine failure of the inboard engine, saved my day and still running.
You probably can't get these in the US due to their inability to pass pollution statndards.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 09:01   #24

vRUN I try to use US chain and check that it is marked 'MADE IN USA' before buying. Having said that Canadian or European chain would be fine. In my location US chain both meets my standards for quality and is cost effective. It is not a national thing I would buy Asian chain if I knew that it was better and of course the price was still low.

To take the time and money to purchase chain and transport it to my boat, I do not own a car, and then have to replace a rusty mess two years later is a hardship.

What do you use as chain on board and what has been your experience with it. I am ready to have my knowledge expanded. I have many 'made in Asia' items in my life that are of good quality. I have just heard negative reports about Asian chain. Rich
Old 23-09-2013, 11:57   #25

Quote:
vRUN I try to use US chain and check that it is marked 'MADE IN USA' before buying. ... Rich
Rich,

Main reason to reply was that the chinese haven't missed the "chain market" - not at all so to say.
Unfortunately my chain's unmarked, came with the boat - not sure whether I've seen chains that are marked "made in" at all.

<iamclearlynotachainguy _but_>
IMHO any company that has extended it's market share to market leader in such a security sensitive area as marine chains _and_ kept it's industrial customers for 30+ years must have a reputation ... I am sure the chains in that video aren't exactly "cheap" neither are the ships they protect.
Old 23-09-2013, 21:03   #26

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Gabilo, out of curiosity, what's the manufacturer name on your outboard? Would be interesting to see if they're doing anything on the US, though, like Bill said, their pollution controls may not be up to snuff. But then again, there are a number of 50cc scooters from Kymco zooming around Boston, so I can't believe cheaper outboards in the 2-5 hp range are long in coming
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 02:44   #27

theres loads of Chinese outboards.. here in AUS Parsun is one of the more popular brands.. there not much cheaper than the Japanese motors..

all this "ohh its from china, it must be junk" is just rubbish.. yes theres some cheap stuff thats inferior, but theres also some seriously good stuff as well for a fraction of the price of euro/American goods.

for example i have a chinese tractor and its a tank.. hasn't skipped a beat after 5 years of constant abuse.. in fact the factory was bought by john deer shortly after i bought the chinese variety.. cant get a more american brand than john deer!

all my leds are chinese from dx.com .. less than 1-10th of price from a aus marine store and i have never had an issue.

if you want to waste your money then keep thinking the way you are.. for the rest of us the more chinese competition the better
bubble777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 03:12   #28

It smells a bit like "cheaper = more can be consumed". But who produces and who creates jobs? What is with Quality and Support? We can not buy all of the stuff in China...
tom1263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 03:22   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1263 View Post
"cheaper = more can be consumed
cheaper = keeping my marriage in tack as my pride and joy doesn't cost me everything i have
bubble777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 05:10   #30

Boat: CT-47
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Gabilo, out of curiosity, what's the manufacturer name on your outboard? Would be interesting to see if they're doing anything on the US, though, like Bill said, their pollution controls may not be up to snuff. But then again, there are a number of 50cc scooters from Kymco zooming around Boston, so I can't believe cheaper outboards in the 2-5 hp range are long in coming
The outboard is branded by " Hangkai" there are many other brands manufactured here in China. There is a choice of 2 and 4 stroke engines, I prefer the 2 stroke because I sail in SE Asia and they are easier to fix than the 4 stroke. Emission standards are not really relevant for my use, and I am not sure if Hangkai would pass EU or US standards.
On the other hand, I am convinced there are chinese companies already producing smaller ( up to 25 HP) outboards fulfilling all necessary standards for the EU and US. Due to the certification costs and the probably higher standard of engineering these engines will not sell at USD 300, but will most likely sell somewhere at 40% below the well known Japanese, or US brands. This is only my guess, I have no evidence for this without further research.
I am based in China, therefore communication, distance, knowledge of the "trade" is my advantage. On CF I often see links posted to some traders on the Alibaba / Aliexpress websites. Many of them are sincere businesses but there are also quite a few scam companies amongst them....be aware or get professional help before purchasing something more expensive.
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote