Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 04:26   #1

Boat: Helia 44, Fountaine Pajot
Hardstand options in NSW

I am in need of general maintenance including a antifoul back to glass and some serious mechanics including probable saildrive replacement and general preparation for a passage to Fiji.
I have a 44ft Voyage cat with a beamy 7.8M. I normally go all the way to Boatworks Coomera but given that I intend heading to Fiji, I would like to depart from further south to get a better sail angle. Lift and hardstand costs and of course trades in Sydney seems prohibitive. Can anybody advise of an appropriate place with good hardstand facilities and trades to get this maintenance done closer to Sydney.
gezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:38   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Hardstand options in NSW

I really have no idea but a quick google came up with these links

https://cyca.com.au/marina-facilities/

Multihull Solutions

Address: 33-45 Parkyn Parade, Mooloolaba QLD 4557

https://www.multihullsolutions.com.a...marina-berths/

THE BOAT WORKS HARDSTAND & MARINA BERTHS

1 Boatwoorks Drive
Coomera Gold Coast
QLD 4209

https://www.theboatworks.com.au/

Tel (07) 55 000 000

Hard Stand - Sydney Australia

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...lia-79195.html

Fenwicks Marina | Brooklyn | Antifoul and Propspeed

www.fenwicksmarina.com.au

Fenwicks Marina: Berthing, Hardstand Facilities, Antifoul & Propspeed, Detailing. On the Hawkesbury River in Brooklyn NSW Australia.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 18:04   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

gezza,

You can be hauled at Yamba, and there are services. However, that is so far north in NSW that you might as well as go to Boat Works and then leave from Southport, but sail south and east (look for an initial window that will have enough westerly quadrant wind to help you on your way) to whatever latitude you need to make Fiji a fetch for you, knowing your predominant wind direction will be SE. I'd consider going much of the way to NZ then curving N towards Fiji at a time when even an NE change wouldn't give you too much trouble.

Remember, you'll have to provision the boat for an additional 2 wks. possible quarantine in Fiji aboard, before you're allowed ashore. Keep checking noonsite.com for quarantine issues, as they will be developing.

Deep in the West part of Port Stephens lies Cabbage Tree Point Marina. I don't know what their services may be (but you are not allowed to stay on the boat while the work is being done by you or by others), and you might also want to phone and check--their depths are suitable for cats, but I don't know if they are equipped to deal with them. You can be confident with Boat Works, and Boat Works makes their isolation manageable by their courtesy vehicles.

Ann
Old 08-03-2020, 22:29   #4

thanks Ann - I'll check out Cabbage Tree. Also good points on quarantine and the provisioning - makes a direct sail to Fiji rather than stopping in New Cal even more compelling.
cheers, Gerry
Old 09-03-2020, 03:19   #5

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

there is a couple of places at port stephens that can handle this size.

one is oyster cove (4982 4436). they can be comparatively expensive but have a large hard stand area and (i think) allow live aboard. the other is albatross at lemon tree passage (4982 5522).

good luck !

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:31   #6

Boat: currently boatless

Gday Gezza, Also a vote for Oyster Cove in Port Stephens. We hauled out our Lagoon 410 there to replace motors and sail drives as well as antifoul etc. We found the actual haulout expensive but the daily rate quite cheap which came close to balancing out to most haulouts in the end. It has changed ownership
since we were there but I understand you can still stay on your boat while you work there. Showers and toilets are on site. Trades are on site or you can arrange off site mechanics. There is a small chandlery on site but they have most everything you require. The facility is isolated with little other then some houses nearby. You must enter the channel on a high tide due to depth. If you have a car then its only a half hour drive to Newcastle or 20 minutes into Pt Stephens proper. I am not sure but I have heard that Soldiers Point Marina is able to haul some cats but this would need to be confirmed.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:53   #7

Thanks Greg - appreciate the input
Cheers Gerry
Old 12-03-2020, 21:04   #8

theres also a boatyard (noakes from memory) at the big marina (D'abora from memory) in nelson bay port stephens - full service boatyard, can stay on the boat if you need to, walking distance from the center of town
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 21:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Gday Gezza, Also a vote for Oyster Cove in Port Stephens. We hauled out our Lagoon 410 there to replace motors and sail drives as well as antifoul etc. We found the actual haulout expensive but the daily rate quite cheap which came close to balancing out to most haulouts in the end. It has changed ownership
since we were there but I understand you can still stay on your boat while you work there. Showers and toilets are on site. Trades are on site or you can arrange off site mechanics. There is a small chandlery on site but they have most everything you require. The facility is isolated with little other then some houses nearby. You must enter the channel on a high tide due to depth. If you have a car then its only a half hour drive to Newcastle or 20 minutes into Pt Stephens proper. I am not sure but I have heard that Soldiers Point Marina is able to haul some cats but this would need to be confirmed.

Greg H
Lagoon 440

I used to live aboard at soldiers point - their slipway closed in 2017, something to do with environmental regulations I think
Old 13-03-2020, 05:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickt243 View Post
theres also a boatyard (noakes from memory) at the big marina (D'abora from memory) in nelson bay port stephens - full service boatyard, can stay on the boat if you need to, walking distance from the center of town
sorry to say noakes at nelson bay closed some time ago...

cheers,
Old 13-03-2020, 20:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
sorry to say noakes at nelson bay closed some time ago...

cheers,

Hmmm - last used noakes at nelson bay in jan 2017...just looked it up, aparrently still there, just run by d'albora not noakes, I wonder if thats a good thing or a less than good thing?
Old 14-03-2020, 02:44   #12

yep...sorry my bad...still there but run by d'albora. never paid a lot of attention to them as travel lift too narrow for our cat

cheers,

Tags
hardstand