Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2018, 15:35   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Gelcoat guy recommendation, Victoria BC

I have some minor gelcoat issues (dang rocks on the breakwaters are harder than gelcoat, who knew). I do not want to do the work myself and I got fleeced last time I asked the yard to fix some minor dents so would rather not have the yard do it.
Can anybody recommend a freelancer that does touch ups in the Victoria / Sidney area in BC ?
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 08:54   #2
Jd1

Re: Gelcoat guy recommendation, Victoria BC

Anyone ????
Old 16-05-2018, 00:46   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jd1:

Who we have on this forum who is a gelcoat whiz is <minaret>. He is in Washington State, and he is not the cheap spread.

Stay tuned for local recommendations. There are probably a number of competent small gelcoat dings repairers in Vancouver (city). If it's only small, the colour match is possibly the most difficult for people who aren't artists who understand how to mix colors. Getting colors right is a skill, especially in areas where the colors age diferentially.

Ann
Old 16-05-2018, 04:16   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

You might want to call around to boat brokers and see who they recommend. As Anne pointed out, you want a specific person as it's a craft not a job. If the same name keeps coming up you've found your person.

In Annapolis there is a woman nicknamed "Gelcoat Kate" who does absolutely amazing work. Repairs are invisible. Not "close", not "really really good", not "excellent", but literally perfect. She's a very busy woman.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 08:46   #5

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I have some minor gelcoat issues (dang rocks on the breakwaters are harder than gelcoat, who knew). I do not want to do the work myself and I got fleeced last time I asked the yard to fix some minor dents so would rather not have the yard do it.
Can anybody recommend a freelancer that does touch ups in the Victoria / Sidney area in BC ?

OK I just have to ask. You got fleeced last time and hit the rocks again? I do know a RYA Yachtmaster near Vancouver that does sailing lessons.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 09:23   #6
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
OK I just have to ask. You got fleeced last time and hit the rocks again? I do know a RYA Yachtmaster near Vancouver that does sailing lessons.
Yeah, what can I say, me and rocks have a special thing going. It's like some sort of special gravity or something. Hundreds of square miles and one rock and I can pretty much guarantee getting too close to it (thank goodness I miss it most of the time, somehow)
I have not yet figured out if the rocks are sucking in the boat or if the boat likes rocks (no, it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the guy behind the wheel)

While I could use sailing lessons, I think I need 'avoiding rocks' lessons more
Old 16-05-2018, 09:27   #7

Boat: Taswell 49

I have a friend in Sidney who keeps his boat in the Marina there. His name is Laurent (Larry) Fortin and his boat is a 41" Hanse named Spumante. I know Larry has done lots of fibreglass work and he is extremely handy. You might try him. I won't post his email or phone number here without him authorizing but if you want to contact the marina in Sidney, B.C., they may contact him and let him know you are trying to reach him. In the meantime, I will send him a text or email alerting him and he can respond directly to you.

Port Sidney Marina
Sidney, British Columbia

9835 Seaport Pl, Sidney, BC V8L 4X3
Open ⋅ Closes 5 p.m.

(250) 655-3711
My Wind Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 09:38   #8
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wind Lass View Post
I have a friend in Sidney who keeps his boat in the Marina there. His name is Laurent (Larry) Fortin and his boat is a 41" Hanse named Spumante. I know Larry has done lots of fibreglass work and he is extremely handy. You might try him. I won't post his email or phone number here without him authorizing but if you want to contact the marina in Sidney, B.C., they may contact him and let him know you are trying to reach him. In the meantime, I will send him a text or email alerting him and he can respond directly to you.
Thanks! There are a number of marinas in Sidney so I can't inquire that way but I am looking forward to hearing from him.
Old 16-05-2018, 09:47   #9

Boat: Taswell 49

I provided the Marina info above. I also sent him an email referencing the post.
My Wind Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 12:03   #10

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Yeah, what can I say, me and rocks have a special thing going. It's like some sort of special gravity or something. Hundreds of square miles and one rock and I can pretty much guarantee getting too close to it (thank goodness I miss it most of the time, somehow)
I have not yet figured out if the rocks are sucking in the boat or if the boat likes rocks (no, it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the guy behind the wheel)

While I could use sailing lessons, I think I need 'avoiding rocks' lessons more

I am glad you took that in the spirit it was meant. Some people can get touchy here. Thought about that after I posted.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 12:29   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
he if you get down into the sound in the vicinity of Seattle I do gelcoat work and I'm reasonable as I'm retired and freelance now days.
I give price breaks for members
Old 16-05-2018, 14:07   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Try Paul Bates @ 250-858-0005
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 07:30   #13

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

You Tube " How to apply gelcoat !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 07:52   #14

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Call Nick Webster at Stone's Boatyard in Nanaimo for a gelcoat repair person.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 10:29   #15
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Try Paul Bates @ 250-858-0005
Thank you mitiempo, I have talked to Paul and he is going to have a look at the situation.

Thanks everybody else who has posted suggestions.

Tags
gelcoat, men