Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-12-2008, 07:37   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Originally Posted by seawind_hazzie View Post
I have a timber deck one inch thick /25mm it has a fibre glass matting over the timber wrapping over the gunwhales onto the hull,, and has been painted over with about 10coats of poor quality paint which is now cracking and looks ugly,, I want to remove the paint exposing the glass matting and from this i want to know can i cover it with gelcoat ,i would rather not paint again, any advise would be appreciated... cheers harry Bryce... SV Seawind.. Qld. Aust.
I hope you donít find any delamination between the glass and the wood...its all to common with polyester and this form of construction.
To answer your question, I've sprayed gel coat with good results, and because it can go on so thick it does act as a sort of sanding sealer/filler if your surface is not true, but defiantly an expensive one.
I would think you would be happier with an LPU over a properly faired and primed surface.

S/V Arctic Lady
I love my boat, I can't afford not to!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On