Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 22:16   #16

Boat: Spray Replica
Re: Gally ideas on a mono

Thanks for the comments.

I posted the photos to show Rustic what was achievable in about 1600mm.

Before you start the refit I would highly recommend starting with a very detailed plan. I always do. I have seen a lot of simple projects on boats turn to sh#t because a small thing was overlooked. I find a cad/illustrator program invaluable.

This was one of my plans before starting. Things like the fridge/freezer could have been a huge problem if not planned for.

The stainless benchtop is 1300x500mm. The Fridge/Freezer is slightly longer at 1400x500mm. The gap between the benches is 500mm. The overhead cupboards are 1200x300 and 450mm high. above the cupboards is the access to the rear of the Nav instruments, AIS and VHF radio in the cockpit. The microwave and cupboards sit above a 600lt water tank accessible through the cupboards.

So in total the galley measures approx 1400x1500mm.

The appliances are a Smev 3 burner gas cook top, Smev gas Oven and an Electrolux 800w Microwave/Griller. (Recently purchased in Thailand as the Sharp 800w unit gave up the ghost after 9 years last year. So yes, we would certainly do it again). The 12v Fridge/Freezer was custom made for us by Malcom at ICEER Refrigeration Deception Bay Australia. I can't talk more highly of his products. His molds were modified to fit the angles and dimensions of the companion way. (something to keep in mind when refitting. It all has to come down inside the boat somehow.)

The stainless benchtop I had manufactured in Brisbane 10 years ago. The sink was cut into it then welded and blended. The edges folded over 15mm Marine ply. They are 35mm with a 10mm return. The corners required a little more work welding and blending. All of the edges were then mirror polished to match the splashback. It is a job any stainless welder should be able to achieve at a much lower cost than Corian etc, and in my opinion it has certainly out shone all other products sold for wet area benches.

The splashback was plasma cut to my template from a piece of 1mm M8 mirror stainless and glued to the bulkhead with liquid nails. 10 years on and visitors always comment on it. (Favourably).

The cabinetry was constructed like a modern house hold kitchen. (carcases built in 10mm ply then fitted with solid timber doors and panels. ) This means that all of the doors and panels are removable when it is time to refinish them. The stands for the galley are 160mm high of 16mm ply cut to the contour of the boat and epoxied and glassed level to the deck so that the carcases could be screwed to them. They were then covered with cream Formica. They provide great cable/ventilation tracks for the cabling and trunking. The bulkheads behind the cabinets were lined with 3mm white polyurethane coated ply to give a smooth clean finish to the interior of all the cupboards and provide a smooth surface for the splashback.

Believe it or not the whole process took less than two weeks to complete. Removing the old galley and tiling took considerable longer. After the bases were epoxied the cabinets and benches were screwed in quite quickly. I have watched others (boatbuilders) construct custom frames and build their galleys in. I see no benefit at all to this technique. It takes longer, costs more and is not as easy to refinish or modify.

To answer others questions. Spirit of Sobraon is 37 years new. We purchased her 11 years ago as a very tired and unloved repossessed wreck. She is solidly constructed in GRP/Foam sandwich on a male mold. Most of the hull is over 45mm thick. The lofting plans were increased from Ken Slacks (In the wake of Spray) plans of the original spray. She sails very well when compared to Roberts Sprays. Comfortable, stable, and very seaworthy. And for those doubters we converted from a Catamaran to her and have never looked back.

It is hard to beat 5m of beam for room and 7' of head room.

We have found the galley ideal for both entertaining at anchor and for preparing meals whilst underway.

'Spirit of Sobraon' is what I consider luxurious for a Cruising Boat. We often cop the odd comment that we can't really be cruisers as we don't have "stuff" stored all over our decks and the interior is too pristine and uncluttered. White Fabric and high gloss varnish!!!!. I know others like the feel of their cluttered boats, however we enjoy cruising in comfort. Ice maker,aircon and other things that others think unnecessary. Cruising is not camping. Having spent a lot of years cruising the world in sleek grey vessels I think the uncluttered, ready for sea conditions of warships rubbed of on me and serves us well when hell breaks loose.

We have covered more than 20,000 NM since we started cruising. We are getting ready now to head to Japan a second time and a crossing of the North Pacific through the Aleutians.

I will take some photos later today of the cupboard interiors when I get a chance. Hope this all helps.

Cheers
Garry and Wendy
Spirit of Sobraon
Home Page - www.sobraon.com
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 23:18   #17

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Thanks Gary and Wendy,

I have a few questions to clarify some things but I'll get back to you with my questions tonight after work.

Can you take me a picture of your hinge types for your cupboards, locks.

Ted
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 06:45   #18

Boat: Shopping...

Her is some pics of my galley. Small but efficient underway.

Hinges for fridge are double pivots.

There is a very practical deep storage you can see behind the stove. For tall bottles like olive oil, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2128049_4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	97279   Click image for larger version

Name:	2128049_26.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	97280  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2128049_27.jpg