Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2018, 13:43   #1

Boat: 42' Simpson Catamaran
Galley/Appliance QuestionsConvection Micro Oven?

We are refitting a 42' Simpson sailing catamaran (basically a complete overhaul)

For my part, I'm starting with galley and a wish list. I'd like to get rid of the gas (with the exception of water heater and grill) so we could be self reliant and not need to find/carry LP or water in locations that it may be difficult to do so. The one thing I have been able to figure in my research: THIS WILL REQUIRE A LOT OF POWER but I will tackle the battery and charging problem after I figure out the appliances.

What I want:
2 burner induction cooktop
convection microwave oven

Now herein lies the problem. I have zero experience with convection ovens and although I've been researching to no end trying to find real life advice for using them on a boat, it's nearly nonexistent or the info is very dated. I found they are used in RVs but we will NOT often have shore power. Seem to be a lot of pros and the only con is power consumption and maybe a learning curve? I think the induction cooktop will be an easy transition and the cookware is no problem.

My main questions:
1. Opinions on induction cooktops and convection microwave ovens?

2. Is there a reason I can't use standard 12V/120V household appliances (compact fridge and convection micro oven) instead of marine specific appliances? Quality vs. price vs. value, etc. ABYC standards?

I may end up with just keeping gas cooktop and oven (due to power consumption) but I thought the practical input would be helpful to start. After all, if we're re-doing everything why not try to get what I actually want?

-amy
aj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 14:14   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Galley/Appliance QuestionsConvection Micro Oven?

Can't speak to induction, although they sound nifty. Our normal 110V electric (ceramic top) cooktop works well enough so I don;t have an excuse to replace it just yet...

I can say our combo Sharp R820, 110V, not "marine" microwave/convection oven works great. We don't ever have any issues with power consumption, but that's given we have a generator and I'm not afraid to use it.

The only thing "marine" about our fridges is that they're both AC and DC, running DC compressors. The internal power supply converts AC (when present) to DC. Some of the small household "AC-only" fridges could be fine and I've read many folks use those, but... generally that means an inverter in the picture somewhere. Not bad, just another way to get there from here.

-Chris
Old 19-01-2018, 16:34   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Galley/Appliance QuestionsConvection Micro Oven?

A micro convention oven is real tough to beat, cooks a turkey microwave fast, but also browns it. Best of both worlds.
Better ones have programmed recipes in them and meat thermometers etc and will turn off when the roast, turkey or whatever hits the perfect temp.
As you have already figured out, what is gonna be tough is powering it, my opinion it’s going to take a generator.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 16:54   #4

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

Researched this thoroughly when refitting our boat. Have microwave convection oven at home and love it. When evaluating installation on boat, all models I could find required some space around them for heat ventilation....usually several inches. This did not work in our galley. Be sure to check installation specs for any model you are interested in......really nice to have if you can fit it.
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 08:52   #5

We have a portable one "burner" induction stove. After getting through the beginner issues, it works fine. The inverter handles the power draw OK. The electric draw isn't significant in the realm of the other items on the current draw. As for household refrigerators, they will work for four or five years before real corrosion sets in. The exterior panels will start rusting fairly fast.

The microwave can be an issue. Look at microwaves for sale at truck stops. Sa one for sale, works with 12V, sized for the living space in a truck. Also Campers World has some for RVs.
dbaoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 08:59   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

+1 for the microwave/convection over...very handy to have aboard. Draws big amps, but not for long....cooks fast.

One of the issues though is installation. Most are designed as countertop units with lots of clearance. See manufacturers spec for installation clearances.

These units can generate a lot of heat and need adequate ventilation so clearances are important.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 09:17   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

To use these you will essentially need either shore power or a generator. Microwaves have a large Amp draw especially at startup. I have a toaster oven, and microwave both. Took out the cooktop. Also have a gas grill for back deck. Between those items we eat pretty well. Advantage of toaster oven is that current can be kept low for those things you just need to warm up. When using microwave it sometimes requires juggling other power devices to stay within allowable Amps.
With no gender the i’d Skip the microwave I think.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 09:43   #8

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Check out the utube "gone with the wynns", they sail a Cat., and have a system like you want, it's pretty awsome.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 10:06   #9

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52

I have a (good quality German-made) induction hob at home, and would need to do some more research before I would put one on my sailing monohull. The main problem is that if the pan is moved even a small amount, the heat switches off; I conclude that one would need really good fiddles/clamps to lock the pan in place. The other issue for me is that I burn food far more often than using any other type of hob; having to cook atlower levels than maximum takes away much of the time advantage advertised. It could be, though, that significant power savings could still be made.
A single pot hob could make great sense, for me, for use when in marinas or nice smooth anchorages, but I don’t expect to remove my standard gas stove.
Also, Iguess all users of induction hobs have been saddened by many old faithful pots (eg favourite copper frying pans!) not being compatible.
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 10:15   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I run a microwave/convection over off invertor. Works fine. Does draw a lot of amps, but not for a long time...so all total not that bad.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 10:44   #11

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT

We have a small convection microwave on NIKE. We love baking chocolate chip cookies during windward leeward races.

Nothing is better that passing another boat on a downwind leg as the sweet smell of fresh baking cookies spreads out among the fleet...

We run a Northern Lights generator, but a fair sized inverter should handle the short lived loads...
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 11:56   #12

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

With generator and 2000- 3000 watts inverter you can easily have microwave/ convection oven. But I wouldn’t be too quick to replace the propane burners/ regular oven. First, our experience using propane was excellent during our many years of cruising. Propane fills was never an issue... and cooking uses so little of it that we only had to fill out one 20lb tank about once a year! At least in the Caribbean you tend to not do long roasting in an oven! Think about how often you fill at backyard bbq... about the same. That said, if you come up to NE or sell boat at some point, having a means to take off the morning chill while making breakfast (same at dinner) is a welcome side benefit of propane cooktop and oven!

That said, I am a great supporter of having a microwave over and since it takes up very little more room... a microwave convention oven. You just can’t beat the speed, quietness, and energy efficiency of making/ warming up single cup coffee/ tea, soups, warming up meals using microwave heat. All the heat goes into the food... not surrounding air/ cabin (again think Caribbean). With a 2000-3000 watt sine wave inverter/ built-in 100a 12v charger and a 8D (or two) AGM inverter batteries... you will love the flexibility it will give you. Yes, while using a 1000w microwave you will draw 120a from the batteries. But only for 1.5 minutes for coffee, 30 seconds for warm-ups, 2 minutes for soups/ leftovers. 120a for a few minutes is only a few watt-hours... easily replaced/ recharged by even smallest solar panel/ or while running engine or generator for some other reason. If you do over-night crossings , rest of crew will appreciate the quietness of microwave warm-ups of coffee/ snacks over starting up/ running the generator.

The bigger inverter/ AGM batteries also let wife, daughter, guests pretty much use their smartphones, IPad chargers, ... even a little hair drying w/o generator use. Although our refrigeration cold plate system required a generator run for about 30 minutes I’m morning and 30 minutes at evening. So we adjusted everybody’s schedule to do their morning/ evening personal showers (hot water), hair drying, cooking, any other high amp usage during these times. Vacuuming, any power tools can be powered anytime by the inverter. Indeed I required boat AC outlets to all come from inverter. We could use microwave, TVs, plug in any laptop charger, use a powered tool anytime just like at home. The inverter’s built-in transfer switch automatically switches over to shore or generator power if running/ plugged into shore power.

If you are going to be serious cruises I highly recommend you have plenty of extra battery capacity and make a multi-bank battery monitor and AC volt & current meters a priority in your refit. This will take the guesswork out of knowing when to charge/ you will quickly become an expert on your boat’s 120v/ 12v use/ reserve. Best wishes on your next chapter! We certainly enjoyed/ still enjoying ours.
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 12:49   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

aj676 I think you need to get a lot better educated on electrical systems and the amps that typical appliances draw. Unless you are planning on towing a barge full of batteries or installing a generator you should just stick with propane. I assume you want to install household appliances and electrical cook top to save money, but there is a reason smaller boats all have gas stoves. Microwaves draw a HUGE amount of power.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 12:52   #14
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Be careful to check the specs of the convection microwave oven you want yo buy. Some here make it sound like it is easy to integrate in a cruising boat, I would not put it that way ...

I have a samsung MC35. It draws close to 300A (@12V) when I start a MW/convection program (e.g. a chicken). It is true that when it gets hot the consumption lowers to say 120A, and from time to time back to 200A+

My Victron multiplus 3000W inverter is under pressure and has the red LED blinking. I knew it would be like that but I needed to replace the ENO gaz oven that was about dead and only 25l anyway (!). So I was a bit early on schedule for the global switch to electrical & 230VAC appliances. I will buy another victron 3000W and have the two run in parallel mode.

I do not yet have the induction cooktop but it is on the list ! I will be interested in any feedback on that matter. 2 burner.

As for other 230VAC appliances, I have nespresso (maybe 800W) , filter coffee machine (maybe 1200W), water boiler (2000W), I run the hot water tank on 230V as well (1200W), vacuum cleaner (800W). Everything works fine, no genset, 1300W solar panel, 1000Ah battery.

The next step is to get rid of the 12V fridges (I have 2) and get some liebherr appliances. You can get much better house appliances for less money.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 06:55   #15

Boat: 42' Simpson Catamaran

Excellent information everyone! Thank you so much!!!!
I will be looking into all of it. I didn't realize the Wynn's had this system. Will check on that too.
Thanks for all the specific inverter and battery info as well. Good to know what people are using. That is the next piece of the puzzle. Good thread to ask the electrical section. =). Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback and will continue on my education.
aj676 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley, oven