Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 23:15   #1

Boat: Stringer 915 PS
Free Plans for Windvane Self-Steering

Mister Vee have released plans for a self steering system to be self built with a level of skill that most keen DIY enthousiast have: OS Walt

OS Walt is the third in the line of self steering systems named after the late Walt Murray who inspired countless sailors to build their own self steering system.

The basic plans are totally free and comprise a list of materials and 3D pdf's.
The detailed plans include drawings of the individual parts and a support forum.

If you are interested in building a windvane self steering system yourself, free subscriptions to the website with the detailed plans are available untill Februari 7th.

OS Walt. Free windvane self steering plans from Mister vee | VeeWorld

After the 7th you can only get access to the complete plans if you are invited by another subscriber.

Sven Heesterman
Mister Vee self steering
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:17   #2

Free self steering plans

Well, I've looked on the quite compilcated website and registered but unable to find the "free" plans, just a list of components priced from £1,400 down, unless I'm missing something!
bg9208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:02   #3

Thanks for trying!

I guess you went trough to the main Mister Vee website and then found the webshop. The free plans and free subscription to the detailed plans can be found on VeeWorld trough the link in the post above.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:58   #4

Boat: Ohlson 38
Define Free Please.

An incomplete set of plans "for free" with conditions set for obtaining the detailed plans does not constitute a "free set of plans" in my book. I'm sorry but it really pisses me off when I fall for this kind of sleazy sales gimmick from vendors. How about some straight up advertising with integrity...First thing in the morning too...Jeeeesh!
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:09   #5

I'm sorry if the offer is in any way unclear but until february 7th the full subcription IS free.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
I'm sorry if the offer is in any way unclear but until february 7th the full subcription IS free.

Maybe my response was a little harsh Sven but I have become hyper-sensitive to sales pitches and this is most certainly a sales gimmick or "hook" if you will. By being asked to subscribe to a service, or to give up my information to a salesperson so that he can then abuse me with even more offensive and manipulative sales techniques in the future, costs me something more valuble to me than money....TIME. I can replace money but I can't replace wasted time. I think it's the deception contained within "free" that bothers me so much.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:06   #7

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
There are a few books that describe in detail how to build a windvane self steering system.a good one is "Ocean Voyaging" by David M Parker,Bernard Moitessier also explains the fundamentals in his book"The Long Way".I think Hiscock also has some info.I have built them before,they don't look as pretty as a Monitor,but work just as well,and are easier to repair.All you need is S.S. pipe for shaft with straps welded on, an inner rod for trim tab,a few fittings,some wood for vane,a counterweight. Rudder and trim tab are antifouled wood, same size as main rudder and a trim tab 1/4 the area of rudder,on pintle and gudgeon attached to rudder.Vane should be about same area as rudder.To lock vane into set position,a pulley wheel,fan belt and highfield lever.Maybe $500. in total.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:19   #8

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
i went to their web site and registered, I found the link, clicked and went to other links and accumulated the pdf drawings and videos that were there. Yes, it was difficult and if I wasn't so dammmnn good with computers I think I would have become very frustrated and just clicked away. It appears he isn't selling anything, yet, and if you can stand the almost endless number of hoops to jump thru, your reward will be some pdf drawings with dimensions and a very clever pdf similiar to a 3-d drawing program which allows you to rotate a 3-d view of the unit completed and rotate it, etc. which is pretty cool. Almost like a program I use eveyr day called Solidworks. It is a very crude web site to say the least, with very primitive typeset and other clutter but it's lack of color and flash graphics shouldn't deter you from pursuing his concept and design which is DIY home workshop oriented.
I'd give it 6 stars out of 10 but you guys are absolutely right, there are plans out there easier to get and much higher quality in my opinion. I doubt that I go back to the site... and I probably will delete those pdf's after I take a closer look but what the hey... it was free.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:37   #9

Not again!

I owe an apology for my earlier diatribe. I acted impulsively and was unfairly vindictive in my responses. Sorry Sven.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:34   #10

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
I wish you would change your name

I wouldn't want anyone to confuse me with you

-Sven
Old 03-01-2014, 21:30   #11

Boat: Heritage 37
Re: Free Plans for Windvane Self-Steering

I totally agree. This is not really free. It's a marketing ploy.
All we want is access to the plans & when you require a "membership" it is not free.
Will you fix this?
Or will you continue to mislead.
Docfmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 21:49   #12

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: Free Plans for Windvane Self-Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfmiles View Post
I totally agree. This is not really free. It's a marketing ploy.
All we want is access to the plans & when you require a "membership" it is not free.
Will you fix this?
Or will you continue to mislead.
Just about four years ago. Let it go.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
self steering, windvane