Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2016, 18:57   #16

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Re: Free Formosa 41 Ketch project boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
The bilge appears to be full of water and the picture of the engine shows the water level is half way up the crank pulley. No one said the entire boat was sunk and the water level was up to the crank pulley.

Rain?

Sent from my iPhone
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 21:42   #17

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
The bilge appears to be full of water and the picture of the engine shows the water level is half way up the crank pulley. No one said the entire boat was sunk and the water level was up to the crank pulley.
I know these boats pretty well... In fact I'm sitting in a Formosa 41 right now. In order for the crank to be touching water at all there would have to be over three feet of water in the bilge, and the floorboards would have to be under about two to three inches of water (doesn't look like it floor boards are floating in the pictures).

There's a plug two thirds of the way forward on the starboard side of the hull, you can just make it out in two of the pictures shown. With the plug pulled the bilge can collect about a maximum of six or so inches of water, it would have to be about two feet higher than that to even reach the oil tray under the engine. In all fairness, I can't quite see if the plug has been pulled but I can't for the life of me think of a reason it wouldn't be, especially if it's been worked on, or even stepped foot in while it's been on the hard.

That engine is a Perkins 4108, nothing short of severe corrosion kills those things... That one looks pretty nice going by the pictures too.

Great looking boat, if I wasn't already so heavily invested in mine I'd be tempted to take a crack at her. She'll take years to make her perfect, but you could probably have her fit enough to splash pretty quick if you focused on the Hull and rig.

Sent from my C6730 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 23:07   #18

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Good Lord
It's a good thing Slocum didn't come here for advice before starting on Spray.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 07:46   #19

Boat: 1985 S2 9.2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
daw, now is perfect-- enlist daughter to assist the refit and launch and daysail with her...she willloe it. younger they start the better it is ..more funner...
plans are meant to be broken
If my daughter's mother was willing, you know I would.
daw_two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 08:45   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I think you mean a hell of an opportunity to end a marriage and go broke before every splashing her...ha ha ha. The story of the guy dying before he finished his dream is as old as Boating/Cruising. The dream of restoring an old boat isn't the same dream as going Cruising. It's still a fun dream...but oftentimes a Free Boat will cost you everything you have.

Ahhh... another positive word from the gallery.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 08:48   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Good Lord
It's a good thing Slocum didn't come here for advice before starting on Spray.
No kidding. More excuses why they can't do something then why they can.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 25-08-2016, 08:52   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Ahhh... another positive word from the gallery.
Truth is neither positive or negative...it just is what is.
Now, how you deal with Truth is what makes it a Positive or a Negative.
As someone currently refitting another William Garden designed boat, I know a thing or two about refitting a similar aged/type of boat.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 08:55   #23

Hey Vino...thanks for trying to keep another boat alive. It looks like she is very restorable. I'm not sure if you have tried craigslist San Francisco but I know there are a lot of low dollar people that would jump at the chance to get that vessel.
Old 25-08-2016, 08:59   #24

Quote:
Truth is neither positive or negative...it just is what is.
Now, how you deal with Truth is what makes it a Positive or a Negative.
Nice try Rich. Depending on the individual(s) restoring it, the outcomes vary. You just pick the most negative scenario, as you do and call it truth.
I hope someone with a positive outlook on life will acquire this boat and realize their dream.
Old 25-08-2016, 09:10   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Nice try Rich. Depending on the individual(s) restoring it, the outcomes vary. You just pick the most negative scenario, as you do and call it truth.
I hope someone with a positive outlook on life will acquire this boat and realize their dream.
It's poor form to carry beefs from another thread into a new one, so I apologize to the other Thread readers that are having to see/deal with this....but hey if that's the "Rich is Negative" meme you want to play, go right ahead amigo, but it's pretty tacky and demeans you.

You won't find a more positive, go now, go for it, guy than me, that's why I had to issue the warning. Part of what let me retire at 38 and go cruising and now liveaboard is also what makes me not ******** things and speak Truth and Reality. And as the line goes "Some people can't handle the truth". Having a positive outlook on life won't get this boat floating or cruising again...that will take money and time (lots of both) and lying to people doesn't help them reach their Dream...it crushes them when they could have bought at Catalina 30 for less than the cost of transporting this Boat and been heading South tomorrow.
Old 25-08-2016, 09:30   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rich is realistic. he and i are restoring our anteek garden ketches.
the free one will take from 1 full full time year to forever to fix up depending on the individual obtaining her.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 09:36   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
rich is realistic. he and i are restoring our anteek garden ketches.
the free one will take from 1 full full time year to forever to fix up depending on the individual obtaining her.
'

Doable yes...
Realistic for 99.47% of people in my mind no...
But my opinion on the matter is worth what it is costing....nothing.
Old 25-08-2016, 11:48   #28

Quote:
It's poor form to carry beefs from another thread into a new one, so I apologize to the other Thread readers that are having to see/deal with this....but hey if that's the "Rich is Negative" meme you want to play, go right ahead amigo, but it's pretty tacky and demeans you.

You won't find a more positive, go now, go for it, guy than me, that's why I had to issue the warning. Part of what let me retire at 38 and go cruising and now liveaboard is also what makes me not ******** things and speak Truth and Reality. And as the line goes "Some people can't handle the truth". Having a positive outlook on life won't get this boat floating or cruising again...that will take money and time (lots of both) and lying to people doesn't help them reach their Dream...it crushes them when they could have bought at Catalina 30 for less than the cost of transporting this Boat and been heading South tomorrow.
It's not about any other thread Rich...I'm not trying to be vindictive. It's the negativity I was addressing. And true, the negativity was evident on the thread you were referring to. There are a dozen of ways of showing the pitfalls of taking on a project like this. There are also rewards. Ever think of that? I have built 3 steel sailboats from the ground up...2 of my own. I chainsawed the interior out of a 34ft F/G sailboat that was abandoned in the desert outside of Barstow..a 3 year project. Even my current vessel was a 2 year refit.
I think instead of dropping the divorce bomb on readers, it might be a kinder way by saying 'In a relationship, one or the other might loose interest in the dream and it may take work on the relationship as well as work on the boat to achieve the dream'. You see...that wasn't hard was it?
Old 25-08-2016, 11:52   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You do it your way...I'll do it my way.
No problem in that....or is there....
Old 25-08-2016, 11:58   #30

Good strong hulls. but those cabins/decks etc are rife with rotted plywood on many of those. Be careful, it could be a project that never ends. With that version that has the "notched" cabin top, I love the layout of that interior, IIRC, it has a head access door from the main salon. If it is a later one it could have normal molded fiberglass deck/cabintops, but they are somewhat rare I think.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formosa, ketch, project