Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 08:42   #1

Boat: 41' yawl
Fix for slapping topping lift

Hello folks!

My topping lift is just a line from the aft end of the boom, up to a block hung from the masthead, and back down to a winch + cleat.

If I wanted to eliminate that downward run entirely, what sort of tackle should I be looking at?

I'd like to just attach one end of the topping lift to the masthead, the other end to the aft end of the boom, and do any length adjustment there on the boom.

(Note that this is part of a number of improvements I want to prototype on my existing, heavy, annoying, wooden boom before replacing it with an aluminum one in 2018.)
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 12:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Fix for slapping topping lift

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1476733032.233261.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	133030

I use this on my Tartan 33. It may work on your mizzen. FYI it is not an easy adjustment.

The line running forward holds the sail cover and obviously is removed when sailing.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 13:29   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Fix for slapping topping lift

Have a four part tackle with fiddle blocks using 1/4" iine to adjust Dyneema topping lift, one with a jamb cleat built in at the end of the boom. Works a treat though boom end is too far outboard to adjust running on a broad reach to DDW. Not a big deal as can't remember having to haul in the boom to adjust the topping lift. The blocks are Harken #244 and 245.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 13:59   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Have a line affixed to the masthead & run to the boom's aft end, where you have it turn the corner through a block, & run it along the boom up to the gooseneck. Where you can have a purchase, or a winch, & a cleat. That way there's nothing to slap on the mast, but it's still easily adjustable on all points of sail from the base of the mast/gooseneck.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 14:13   #5

My favorite topping lifts have a line or cable from the masthead to just above the aft end of the boom. A line is then led along the boom, out the aft end and up to the cable or thru a block for 2:1 purchase. It cleats along the boom anywhere convenient.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 14:29   #6

Boat: Able 50

Having a purchase inside the boom led to a cleat near the gooseneck certainly works but your boom has to be made for it. It is unlikely that a wooden boom could accommodate that type of system. This means you will have to attach a small purchase with cleat to the aft end of the boom. 3:1 would do the job and you might be able to switch to 2:1 with the new boom. That is when you decide whether you want the purchase to be inside or outside the new boom.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift