Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2017, 07:59   #1

Fibreglass osmosis repair.

Hello,
I have just had my boat surveyed, and have been, told that I have blistering due to water under the epoxy.
I have bee told that it will effect the resale value, but I have been researching and have found that it one of those things that people seem to be split on, as it is costly any thoughts would be appreciated.
caldawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 08:27   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Fibreglass osmosis repair.

Use 'search' forum option above - there have been some lengthy and informative discussions here before.

Otherwise, it all depends on how serious your case is. Sometimes spot repair is done and that's that. In other cases a thorough and time consuming and or expensive fix is required.

Fixed well, osmosis does not seem to affect resale value. How could anybody know there has ever been osmosis on a well fixed up and epoxy shielded hull.

You can take images of the affected area and post here. Many people will come up with their interpretations of how bad or good your challenge is.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 08:56   #3

If the boat has been previously epoxied to cure the blistering, and is now blistering it wasnt dried well enough. Or it is really saturated. OTOH, if you just mean the common "epoxy" bottom paint and or primer when you say "blistering under the epoxy", then it may be something new.
It will definitely effect resale unless you are giving it a low price and noting it has the blisters. But the extent of the blistering is important.
If you are selling I would have all the paint removed, grind out/expose the blisters and let it sit to dry out well. Recoat with barrier coat and paint , then sell. That is what is most often done. You dont say the boat size, but a full stripping, peeling and best fix will likely be $15k and up. You would have to sell at normal price less that cost unless you are extremely lucky.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 09:11   #4

Boat: Bristol 38.8

We had an Osmosis issue with our Barberis Show 30. We had the Hull Soda Blasted then set to work sanding out all the blisters- then barrier coated with Interlux 2000
4 coats, alternating white and grey.
Came out great, then ablative- no issues 2 years in. My wife and I did all the work except the Soda Blasting.
Mplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 09:37   #5

I had a lot of little blisters on a C-36 in 2003. Kept digging them out until I got down to really small ones and stopped. Took a couple days, then filled them and put two good coats of bottom paint on. Did the work myself and got out of there for a little over a couple $grand with sander rental, bottom paint, beer and burritos.
Like they said above, if you have to strip down to fiberglass, repair and barrier coat then paint, all done by others, it gets pricey. Best have the boat yard tell you what it needs and negotiate from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	158299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0355.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	158300  

Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 08:33   #6

Oh wow. All the responses have been amazing. Thank you guys.
I have decided to go and get the work done. 18k and two months out of the water, as I am very very new to sailing and this is my first boat that I intend on keeping and using as a live aboard I don't mind spending the extra money, it's a lifestyle choice too retire at my age and can't risk having to spend that much money later. Better to just get it done sooner.

Thank you.
caldawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
osmosis