Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 20:12   #16

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: "Eutectic" A/C - eg. Frozen Water - possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitoSoto View Post
I have solar panels, once the batteries are full it dumps excess energy into running my Freezer/Refrigerator...

If I freeze a eutectic solution (eg. Arctic Ice, that blue stuff you put in a cooler), and the make an "ice box with a fan" type contraption...

Would that be a good A/C system? I have no idea how many BTU's are stored in those blue cooler things but maybe it will help some?
You are constrained by the thermodynamic laws and enthalpy of the blue cooler things. Ie not much point.

A eutectic solution simply undergoes phase change at a single temperature. Water is eutectic.

For comfort you need to control temperature, humidity and airflow. Temperature and humidity control are best managed with refrigerated air conditioning. Airflow is much less energy intensive to control.

You'll be more comfortable blowing air with fans than freezing stuff and creating your own very inefficient evaporative swamp cooler. Evaporating water will be less energy intensive than making ice.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water